Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

pionus bite?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

pionus bite?

Postby r0s_85 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

My bh pionus is only 3,5 months and a new pet in our home.♡
He's very gentle every time he test bite/taste my fingers, but of course I distract him with something else everytime.
Question:
Wath should I do when he bites TOO hard?
Now I just quiet leave the room for a couple of minutes. Don't know if i'm doing the right thing!

Is there someone professional parrot owner, who can help me?

Thanks/r0s_85
r0s_85
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Flight: Yes

Re: pionus bite?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 am

When parrots are well taken care of (meaning not hormonal, not abused or neglected, on a good diet, etc), they only bite their owners to let them know the owner is doing something he/she shouldn't. It could be that the owner insists on them stepping up when they don't feel like it, it could be that they are touching the bird when the bird doesn't want to be touched, it could be that they were too rough, etc. Parrots are not naturally aggressive, they just react with bites as a form of defense when they feel threatened or get ticked off by something they consider an intrusion.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby r0s_85 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Pajarita wrote:When parrots are well taken care of (meaning not hormonal, not abused or neglected, on a good diet, etc), they only bite their owners to let them know the owner is doing something he/she shouldn't. It could be that the owner insists on them stepping up when they don't feel like it, it could be that they are touching the bird when the bird doesn't want to be touched, it could be that they were too rough, etc. Parrots are not naturally aggressive, they just react with bites as a form of defense when they feel threatened or get ticked off by something they consider an intrusion.

Thanx! :-D But he's not aggressive.. more like he checking out what fingers feels like with his beak? But some times it's too hard, and I wonder if I can tell him to be more gentle, some how??
(Sorry if my English is bad!)
//r0s_85
r0s_85
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Actually you can. you can say something along the lines of "Gently" and push his beak away from the site of the too hard pressure and then carry on as if nothing has happened. It isn't very fast but it does work.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Harpmaker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm

r0s_85 wrote:But he's not aggressive.. more like he checking out what fingers feels like with his beak?

That is exactly what he's doing. All the baby birds do. It's called "beaking" and it is simple exploration, similar to a baby's putting everything in his/her mouth. Don't try to stop it, but if he bites too hard, follow Wolf's advice:

Wolf wrote: you can say something along the lines of "Gently" and push his beak away from the site of the too hard pressure and then carry on as if nothing has happened. It isn't very fast but it does work.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 am

Yep, it's beaking and yes, they do tend to press a bit too hard at times. But it's not aggression and they only do it hard because they don't know their own strength so, when he does, use your index and thumb to very gently pinch (not really pinch because there should be no pressure whatsoever so it's more like putting your fingers in a pinching position but not really pinching) the top beak and caressing it softly with your fingers say something like "Gently... gently...." and, if he doesn't reduce the pressure, just move his beak away but don't do anything else because he is not doing anything wrong, he is actually trying to interact with you, he just doesn't know how to do it right. It will take time and many, many times of doing it but it works after a while and they learn not to be rough with us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby r0s_85 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 am

Thanks for all the replies and guidens!! :-D
Now I know how to respons right for my little sweetheart ♡

Here is a pitcher of my baby bh pionus! :hatched:
Thank you all again!! ♥
2014-07-21 17.17.41.jpg
Bh baby pionus
(214.24 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
r0s_85
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:21 am

Awww, and what a beauty he is!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Harpmaker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Great picture! He is beautiful!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Wow ! He can come and visit me and mine anytime that he wants to.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training