Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Amos and Andy training update.

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Amos and Andy training update.

Postby Tman007 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 am

They both are targeting ok. Andy is only 4 months and he really is getting the hang of it. He will run over to the stick grab it then run back to the other side for the treat. Amos will reach for the stick. (one time I had it to faraway and he had to reach). I use this square for training. And I work with both of them at once for a few minutes. Andy will be on one side of the square and Amos on the other side. and when I have them target I will say Andy target or Amos target. This way they will also get use to their names. I have them target in the morning when I first get home from work. I will change into my training clothes and say good morning to them I will change their water and give them fresh bottle water. then I will work with them for about 10 minutes, pet them and then put them up so they can eat. and I go make me something to eat then I sit with them and we all eat. Something else that I notice during training Amos like to go over and go in his cage and get a drink half way through the training. after they eat I will let them relax for about 30 minutes and the I will go in and just have fun with them I will hold them and pet them let them sit on my shoulder. I'll pet Amos and he will almost lay up side down trying to bend his head down for me to pet him. Andy will hang on my collar of my shirt and try and pick at everything he can get his beak on. LOL. I just train once in the morning for now. No need to push them. Nice and easy.
Attachments
003.JPG
My little training square
(101.43 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training