Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taking a water break

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Taking a water break

Postby Tman007 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Since I started to work with my parrots I have noticed that every once in awhile Amos will look at his cage and act like he wants to fly over to it. So I will take him there. And he will take a drink and then come back out and we start to work some more. Now just so you know I don't work them that long it will be about 5 minutes or so. The one thing is I live in Vegas and right now the temp is hitting over 100. the house is cooled to 80. I have a small fan in the bird room to help move the cool air around. ( I pull the plug on the fan before I take the parrots out.) so it gets just a little warm in the room. so now when I work with them after about 5 minutes I will put them back in their cages so they can get a drink and go back to working with them after they had a drink. I have them targeting and I started to get both of them to turn around on a perch. But just thought I would put that out there about the water. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Taking a water break

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 am

You feed pellets, right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 pm

The treats I give them are hulled sunflower seeds and pieces of walnut. And yes I feed pellets.

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 am

That's why they need water in the middle of the day, because the pellets are unnaturally dry for their digestive system. Parrots that are on a fresh food diet only drink water early in the am and before they go to sleep. They don't need any during the day, just as the wild ones don't need any either.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:43 pm

That's when I work with them early in the morning before they I feed them. After they wake up I say hello. Give them time for their morning chat, I will clean their bowls out and give them fresh water. and then start working with them. I only work with them for about 10 minutes at the most. Then I give each of them some loving. Put their food in their cage, put them back in their cage, go make my breakfast and come in and sit with them while I eat. At this time I open back up their cage so they can come out and be with me.

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Cockatiel

Return to Taming & Basic Training