Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots vs me

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Parrots vs me

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:15 am

Maybe she would prefer just a simple t-perch instead?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:30 am

Well, I don't blame her for not liking the Java tree perch, there is no 'fun' to it! Same as manzanita perches, they are made of a very hard, very smooth wood (they peel the bark off it) and, although they are very durable and easy to clean, they don't really provide any entertainment so there is no incentive for a parrot to perch on it except for the height (and there are other things that are higher in a human living area -like curtains, shades, shelves, etc). Try giving her a real branch from a tree, with the bark and all the little twigs branching off it, I bet you she would like that one because it would provide hours of fun, trimming the little branches from the tip inward toward the trunk, peeling the bark off, chewing the wood, etc.

Now, as to clumsiness in flight... the problem with macaws is that people don't realize they need rooms, at least, 30 ft long to fly (this is the reason why I don't 'do' macaws). A shorter distance does not give them enough room to maneuver correctly but clipping is simple not healthy for them so I would suggest you find a space (basement, attic, two rooms connected by a corridor?) long enough for her to fly and that you exercise her every day in it. Teaching them recall is not hard, it's very rewarding to the owner and it allows them the only exercise nature gave them that 'works' for them. People talk about them climbing as a form of exercise but that is nothing but wishful thinking on our parts... it's the same as saying that crawling is good aerobic exercise for people -which we all know it's not so.

Yes, start target training inside the cage but you still need to let him out even before he is trained in any way for a number of hours every day. The out-of-cage time is non-negotiable when it comes to parrots. The only time that keeping them in a cage for more than 20 hours a day is justified is when the bird is handicapped, very old, sick, wounded or recuperating. But you can start with letting him out for two whole hours at the beginning so he learns the routine gradually. If you limit his protein food to dinner and open his cage about two hours before sunset, he will go into it when you put his dinner in it and as the sun sets. During these two hours, just go about your usual business but talk, sing or whistle to him (always the same words or phrases and the same tunes -children songs with repetitive refrains work best and it doesn't have to be the entire song, either). Don't ask him to step up or anything and, if he goes after your feet, experiment with different things to find out what would deter him (I have used a bath towel tucked around my waist, long skirts, carrying those long foam tubes children use as floaters, etc) without you having to scare him or catch him. The best way of training a bird not to do something is to find the way for the undesirable behavior never to take place in the first place.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Parrots vs me-update!!

Postby larcher09 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 pm

I know it has only been a couple days but I have to say we have tremendous progress. My grey let me take him out of his cage, although I did have my hand wrapped in a towel, but he stepped up for me at he sat on my shoulder very nicely for a couple seconds. He has been on our Java tree for over an hour and seems content. However , my macaw refuses to stay on on the Java tree she prefers to stay up high on her cage. We tried to take a shower today, she flew in the bathroom so I followed her lead, it didn't work out as well as I had hoped but that's okay

We are currently sitting as one big family, my two year old on the couch watching tons, the dog is leashed to the couch til she can learn her manners, and birds are in their selected happy places.
larcher09
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Catalina Macaw, African Grey, two parakeets

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:27 pm

I am glad that you are beginning to make some progress, just take your time and keep doing what you are and don't ever take any of it for granted.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby larcher09 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:14 pm

The Java tree we got has hooks that we hang toys from. I think it was a successful venture for the first day out together, after being out an hour or so they took turns on the Java tree and switched between that, their cages and our rafters. We have an open floor plan through the entire downstairs which is about a football field long or so and cathedral ceiling with 3 long wood beams that are up high. But I think the bottom line of getting them out as long as they need to be is I need to get up 2 hours earlier than I already am so they can get more time with out the dog and baby interfering.
I have to say I was very proud of myself today because by the time my two year woke up from nap I was able to bring her downstairs turn on toons and tie the dog to the couch so there wasn't any danger to anyone and everyone coexisted for about an hour before birdies decided to fly, but even then I was able to reposition every one and keep the peace.

I have found nothing about these birds should be taken for granted the more time I invest the more rewarding it is.
larcher09
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:38 pm

A gold star for you! Yes, the more time outside the cages, the more enrichment (training, flight, toys, games, etc) you give them, the more calmer and more docile they become. Parrots are not 'grateful' animals, like dogs are, but they are highly intelligent and figure out pretty darn quick that their humans are the ones taking away their freedom and although a small minority of them resign themselves to a life in jail, most of them don't and that's when the problems start. But, thankfully for us, they are also very forgiving and will 'forgive' us for our mistakes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby larcher09 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 pm

After the last time I posted my grey refused to come out at all, I would leave his cage open for 5-6 hours and be would 't even try. Some one told me to be patient he would come out on his own. I happy to report that he did today and tried very hard to keep his far distance but partake in the activities at hand. My two year old and macaw ate lunch together today which I have to say was hilarious. My macaw would not settle for anything less than the same that my two year old was getting. One was at one end of the table and the other was at the opposite end with me into eh middle. My daughter was having Greek yogurt, which my macaw loves so once in a blue moon I will have a Greek yogurt scrape out the container so there is hardly anything left and let her dig In. Well today I tried to give my macaw a bowl of fruit instead, she say my daughter eating yogurt and dropped the bowl several time on the table to make her point that she wanted her fruit in the yogurt container. Silly willy.
larcher09
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Sounds pretty good to me, And you did good by not insisting on the Grey coming out and allowing it to choose for itself . You know sometimes you just don't feel like doing the same thing as everyone else is doing and sometimes you just want to be left alone.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pukeko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Perhaps you could make the java tree more interesting by plonking half a fresh bush or small tree on top - I find that they are very good for wedging big branches or half-bushes on, and then it will be higher, enrichment with or without leaves and she can adjust it to her preference by chewing off branches she doesn't like. If you wedge it on, or tie it on, you can also rotate it or make it stick out in another direction to fit the space or renew interest in pruning it, or to minimize pooping on lower branches. I have a little bird, though, so with your strong lady you might have to be more careful about securing the whole mess, but I'm also sure she will prune or destroy a supplemented tree much faster! My big added bush can be tall or wide. She might also have fun with the greater perch size variation available when you give them a hunk of tree - the little ones are toys and bungees, the big ones nearly flat for mine, but a nice big grip for yours.

Glad to hear about your progress!
pukeko
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked conure

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training