Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mini break through with Ollie (I think)

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Mini break through with Ollie (I think)

Postby Wendy40 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 am

Hiya

We got Ollie our barraband a new cage yeterday. Much bigger than the one he had. The roof top opens and also it has a section that opens flat down at the top (hope that makes sense). Anyway he actually walked out onto the flat down part last yesterday and flew out of his cage. Not irratic or anything like that. Very calm considering it is the first time he has been brave and come out. But what we could not believe was that he was just walking around the floor looking at stuff and actually walked right up to our hands and stayed there for about 10 seconds and then walked away and flew back up and into his cage :) We are hoping that it is a good sign that he has accepted us as part of his family! He is also started moving around in his cage a hell of a lot more and seems to love climbing all over the place. He is also doing this little move and not sure if I am gonna describe it correctly but he is kind of moving his neck to the side in a continious movement almost in a half circle and then straighten back up again. Does this mean anything?
Wendy40
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Mini break through with Ollie (I think)

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am

when he makes this head movement is his beak also opened at or near the finish of it when he straightens his neck out? I ask because it sounds almost like a prelude to regurgitation, and if so it is a happy move.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training