Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aaaand now he's biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Aaaand now he's biting

Postby GMV » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

NICrosis wrote:Solved it! He just wants to be around while I play guitar and watch disney movies. Watching video games war boring. So I made some great foraging toys and spent time with him showing him how his in the cage toys worked today after his daily training.

You sound like the perfect type of person to own a grey.
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]
Flight: Yes

Postby NICrosis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:49 pm

GMV wrote:
NICrosis wrote:Solved it! He just wants to be around while I play guitar and watch disney movies. Watching video games war boring. So I made some great foraging toys and spent time with him showing him how his in the cage toys worked today after his daily training.

Not sure if I should take that as an insult or a compliment XD
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: African grey, eclectis

Postby GMV » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:52 pm

NICrosis wrote:
GMV wrote:

Not sure if I should take that as an insult or a compliment XD

Compliment. :lol:
You think hard to figure out the issue with your bird, IMO every grey owner needs to know how to do that. (greys being the stereotypical spazz)
GMV
Poicephalus

[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Postby NICrosis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:59 pm

I appreciate that.

I know I made some mistakes with my cockatiels back in the day, and I refuse to make the same mistake with an intelligent grey. Right now I still can't figure out how to make him talk, but he likes mimicking sound effects, so I've been playing the dial-up modem theme around him as much as possible.
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Postby GMV » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:09 pm

NICrosis wrote:I appreciate that.

I know I made some mistakes with my cockatiels back in the day, and I refuse to make the same mistake with an intelligent grey. Right now I still can't figure out how to make him talk, but he likes mimicking sound effects, so I've been playing the dial-up modem theme around him as much as possible.

Not all greys talk, but i will say most do. Greys are intelligent, sensitive, and can freak out at the smallest upset, the African grey is one species i know a lot about. I was planning on getting a CAG for 5 months, i researched all about them every day until the time i fell in love with lily, my u2, and adopted her instead. I am still amazed by greys and yearn to have one some day.
Mistakes happen, and everyone has made them, and everyone will make them.
GMV
Poicephalus

[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:02 pm

While not all grey do talk and most of those that do start young, you also have the closet talkers. Closet talkers can speak just fine when they choose to, but seem to only choose to speak when there are no humans around.
The key to getting them to talk is repetition and possibly speaking in a rhythmic manner, it all really depends on what catches their attention. Also words spoken with a lot of emphasis, seem to be among their favorites.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby NICrosis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Wolf wrote:While not all grey do talk and most of those that do start young, you also have the closet talkers. Closet talkers can speak just fine when they choose to, but seem to only choose to speak when there are no humans around.
The key to getting them to talk is repetition and possibly speaking in a rhythmic manner, it all really depends on what catches their attention. Also words spoken with a lot of emphasis, seem to be among their favorites.

I really hope he doesnt start saying "Hubby! YOUR BASTARD BIRD BIT ME!" XD
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Postby GMV » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:30 pm

NICrosis wrote:
Wolf wrote:While not all grey do talk and most of those that do start young, you also have the closet talkers. Closet talkers can speak just fine when they choose to, but seem to only choose to speak when there are no humans around.

I really hope he doesnt start saying "Hubby! YOUR BASTARD BIRD BIT ME!" XD

XD lily picked up "fred sucks" after my brothers friend said it.
GMV
Poicephalus

[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 am

You never know.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6