Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aaaand now he's biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Aaaand now he's biting

Postby NICrosis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm

WOLF! The African grey isn't leaving his cage and is now biting everyone. We can't get him out, he even bites me, and he's just being an anti-social twat. it's been a week. Up until Sunday he was happy to step up, play Mass Effect with me, and train. I don't know what happened. He's 5, this puberty crap should have stopped.
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: African grey, eclectis
Flight: Yes

Re: Aaaand now he's biting

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes, he should be past puberty.
You don't give me much to go on to see what is happening in Loki's life to cause him to bite. Please tell me what you and he have been doing as far as training and any other interactions. Last time ,he was not eating well, has this changed? You are my sole source of information and are effectively my eyes and ears and the more information that you can give me no matter how trivial it may seem to you, the better I will be able to answer you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby NICrosis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Wolf wrote:Yes, he should be past puberty.
You don't give me much to go on to see what is happening in Loki's life to cause him to bite. Please tell me what you and he have been doing as far as training and any other interactions. Last time ,he was not eating well, has this changed? You are my sole source of information and are effectively my eyes and ears and the more information that you can give me no matter how trivial it may seem to you, the better I will be able to answer you.

He bows first, scratches his tummy, then bites. So far I've figured out that's his pattern.

He's now eating like a freaking horse and chills in the middle of his cage, so no worries there. As far as training, we're only working on point training right now.
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Why are you forcing the bird out of the cage? If the bird doesnt want to come out and you make it, isn't it pretty obvious that it would bite? Check these out

http://TrainedParrot.com/Biting
http://TrainedParrot.com/Out_Cage
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:31 am

Well Michael is right, if you are trying to force him to do anything then he will bite.
Really, though I think that there my be more going on here than this, but I need information. So I will ask again for information, please give me a detailed account of what you and Loki have been doing for the past week. Start with Loki gets up about 6:30 am and we do------ for 10 minutes after which he has his breakfast. Then he has 2 hours of free time out of his cage to hang out....
Please if you can't tell me make me videos of your interaction together and post them so that I can see.
I know how difficult it can be to know what to include or not because you don't know what is affecting him. I mean like I can assume this or that and based on the assumptions say do this, but I really don't like working that way because I could be wrong just as easily as being wrong and make matters worse, I don't want to do that.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby NICrosis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

Wolf wrote:Well Michael is right, if you are trying to force him to do anything then he will bite.
Really, though I think that there my be more going on here than this, but I need information. So I will ask again for information, please give me a detailed account of what you and Loki have been doing for the past week. Start with Loki gets up about 6:30 am and we do------ for 10 minutes after which he has his breakfast. Then he has 2 hours of free time out of his cage to hang out....
Please if you can't tell me make me videos of your interaction together and post them so that I can see.
I know how difficult it can be to know what to include or not because you don't know what is affecting him. I mean like I can assume this or that and based on the assumptions say do this, but I really don't like working that way because I could be wrong just as easily as being wrong and make matters worse, I don't want to do that.

I think I figured out, after reading Micheal's thing about out of the cage, what I'm doing wrong.
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Postby GMV » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm

NICrosis wrote:WOLF! The African grey isn't leaving his cage and is now biting everyone. We can't get him out, he even bites me, and he's just being an anti-social twat. it's been a week. Up until Sunday he was happy to step up, play Mass Effect with me, and train. I don't know what happened. He's 5, this puberty crap should have stopped.

I am just going to say in general i don't think it helps to label your bird things like "anti social", or any label used to blame a bird for an issue.
GMV
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Postby NICrosis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Solved it! He just wants to be around while I play guitar and watch disney movies. Watching video games war boring. So I made some great foraging toys and spent time with him showing him how his in the cage toys worked today after his daily training.
NICrosis
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 pm

That is great and an accomplishment that you should be proud of. Good job.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby GMV » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

NICrosis wrote:Solved it! He just wants to be around while I play guitar and watch disney movies. Watching video games war boring. So I made some great foraging toys and spent time with him showing him how his in the cage toys worked today after his daily training.

You sound like the perfect type of person to own a grey.
GMV
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training