Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Blue Fronted Amazon Help

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Blue Fronted Amazon Help

Postby ag_187 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Hello, how are you all doing today.

A couple of days ago i have brought a Blue Fronted Amazon, it is 8 months old.
The problem is that it is scared from me. Sometimes i give him some of his pellet diet from my hand and he eats but he eats suspiciously. Every time i put my hands next to him he moves his head forth and back and then goes away from me. If i try to go any closer or touch any of his feathers part he screams. He lets me touch his feet slowly and sometimes he puts one leg on my finger and feels my hand then he goes away. He is scared of any movements and gets alerted. If i just sit next to his cage he is quite and sometimes plays with his toys but i can see that he is still scared of my presence. Now can someone please tell me how can i get my parrot to not be afraid of my presence, movements and my hands so i can start having fun with my new companion and start playing and teaching him tricks. Sorry for my bad english and thank you very much.
ag_187
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Blue Fronted Amazon Help

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:24 am

Well you have just gotten your bird and brought him home, congratulations on your new friend. Now you want to have fun and play with him, but you have not stopped to consider his feelings and right now he is confused and scared, after all until recently he didn't even know that you existed and he certainly wasn't in this new place that you have taken him to. There is nothing here that he recognizes. Everything is so new and strange, and scary to him. So you should give him a few days to relax into his new environment so that he is not so scared.
Set aside several 15 minute blocks of time, each day, 3 or 4 blocks should be enough. these blocks of time are for the purpose of reassuring your new found friend so that he can understand that you want to be his best buddy and will not hurt him. The only things that you will do during these sessions, as I call them, is to talk to your bird, offer him a few treats and observe him. These sessions will provide the opportunity for you to gain his trust while giving him the time to get past his fears.
For a 15 minute session you will only need 3 or 4 treats, which you will offer to him sporadically throughout the session. Now start talking to him. Neither he nor I care what you start off with but as a general rule for me, I try to talk about the bird, myself and the relationship that I would like to build with him and I like to include lots of praise for the bird while talking to him. You should observe your bird friend closely during these sessions and try to recognize his body language and begin to work out what it means. You will want to begin with the treats being offered through the cage bars and when he takes them gently and willingly you open the cage door and offer the treat directly from your fingers without the bars in the way. when he is taking these treats in a consistent manner as well as gently then you start offering the treat so that he needs to step up onto your hand to get the treat. When he does this once or twice it is time to begin target training him.
Never try to force your bird to do anything as it will only lead to you getting bit, everything that you do together must be done at his pace and he must do them willingly, there is no other way to do things with him that works without causing problems. Also try to keep your movements relatively slow so as to not scare him.
Please let me knowhow things progress.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training