Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ignore Biting??? Seriously????

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Ignore Biting??? Seriously????

Postby Jrizzo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Micheal, you have a point. My flesh is not made of Kevlar and ignoring the biting turned me into a wimp. So I went to the hardware store and got a pair of leather work gloves. He was biting them with the same vigor and just gave up and stepped up on my hand. Now he just steps up on my gloved hand right away but still pecks at the bare hand.

Joe
Jrizzo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-fronted Amazon and Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Postby GMV » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 pm

by the way i think pajarita and Michael have really good points, but i still don't know what to do when lily bites me. I know santina bit Michael, but it was not a bad bite, santina was not trying as hard as she could have, so it was easy for him to not react, but what about when a big bite happens?
I wish i was as good as Michael at not getting bit by peoples birds.
GMV
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: [Green-Cheek Conure] [Cockatiel]
[Umbrella Cockatoo]
Flight: Yes

Postby PunkToaster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm

I understand the not reacting in principle--but I think that is impossible with a Senegal attached to your eyelid after it flew at you. I understand the "I bit you because you want me to go back on the perch and I don't want to go there" But, realistically, sometimes the bird simply has to go where it doesn't want to go. Events happen during the day and he can't just decide "I'm not going to do this" and bite the snot out of me when if I let him do what he wants he could wind up dead. With this specific bird---he's been through a lot---including an escape from a previous owner. He has a unique difference with one of his feathers that would identify him to the avian vet (he's the only avian vet around for about 100 mile radius). The vet had never "met" this bird before he flew in one evening. Interestingly, that night, he stepped right up, snuggled up and mumbled and talked and didn't bite anyone for almost a year. I suspect you all are right and he's a freaking adolescent in all his glory. But, there is no way that my daughter could not react to her eyelid and to his attempt to pierce her earlobe.
PunkToaster
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Quaker
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Well as previously stated, I do not attempt to not react to their bite, it hurts and their is no need to hide the fact that it does, But I also do not overreact to the bite either.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training