Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Moving to table top or floor with tricks/training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Moving to table top or floor with tricks/training

Postby Exitos872 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 am

:sun:
Hi, My name us Tim and i have a sun conure thats approx 4 months in age. That being said i know training is harder but threw Michael's meathods and equip ive been able to get a lot of work done in a short amount of time. My sun, Niko at 4 months is harness trained, target trained, working on pottie training (almost there) Fetch command is also about half way there, and does a spin by a voice command ( i call it the twister ).

Here is my delemma. Although Niko does fantastic with these commands on perches, He wants NO PART of being on a flat surface, I.E. a table top or floor. and has such an adversion to it that its not even in the cards to try other training there, like turning the fetch command in playing with the cute little basket ball hoop i ordered.

So any suggestions?
Last edited by Exitos872 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Moving to table top or floor with tricks/training

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:35 am

Slow down some and work with him on bonding with you for the next 2 weeks. You are on the edge of having problems that will require you to do this anyway.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Exitos872 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for your reply Wolf.
Can you explain to me how you came to that from what i told you?
Thanks
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 pm

I must admit that it is not entirely from just what you told us in your post. So you can feel free to correct me if I am in error, I don't mind at all.
The sheer amount of training that you have accomplished combined with the age of the bird is what caused my reply. In addition to that if you haven't done enough work with him in the area of bonding to where he trusts you implicitely, them as I have repeatedly seen you may be in for a time very soon where he will refuse any further training and revert to a more nervous state and probably start biting too. This is a pattern that I wished to make you aware of so that you could head it off at the pass, so to speak.
I believe that if you slow down on the training and spend some bonding time with him that perhaps you can avoid this pattern and perhaps in a week he will be willing to try flat surfaces.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Target train on new surfaces to develop comfort and trust. Let the bird get comfortable on its own practice.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Exitos872 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks again for the replys :
@Wolf. I only spend 10-15 mins a day on training, the rest of my time with the bird is strictly playing or bike riding (he rides on the handle bars on my bicycle and LOVES it) so i would say i spend a good 4-5 hours a day just playing with him. Also when he was hatched i went to the pet store every day for at least an hour visit. I had him wearing a harness before he was weened. Whats odd to me is that he will step up on my bike just fine... but i cannot put him on a flat surface other then my belly in a recliner.

@ Michael. Thanks for your reply. This is what i have been doing, or trying to do. However, as soon as i put him on the table to try target training... he flys away.
Last edited by Exitos872 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 am

I am relieved that you have spent as much time as you have with your bird, not many do.

As far as the flat surface goes, there are not many of them in their native habitat. Perhaps you could try placing a couple of his favorite treats on the table, show him the treats as you place them and then sit him on a nearby perch where he can easily get to them and just give him some time to think about it. No guarantees but a few times of this may help.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:47 am

But why would you need him to be on a flat surface? I can't really think of a reason why this is necessary unless you want to train him to do a particular trick that requires it which, in my mind, if this is the case, it's a completely useless trick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Exitos872 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Exitos872 wrote::sun:

Here is my delemma. Although Niko does fantastic with these commands on perches, He wants NO PART of being on a flat surface, I.E. a table top or floor. and has such an adversion to it that its not even in the cards to try other training there, like turning the fetch command in playing with the cute little basket ball hoop i ordered.

So any suggestions?
Pajarita wrote:But why would you need him to be on a flat surface? I can't really think of a reason why this is necessary unless you want to train him to do a particular trick that requires it which, in my mind, if this is the case, it's a completely useless trick.

Useless to you sir. FUN, cute as hell and another challenge to me!
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Exitos872 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Ive decided to try a pocket perch. I will order it tonight. my thoughts are to put the perch on the table and see if hell target
Exitos872
Lovebird

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training