Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Moving to table top or floor with tricks/training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Moving to table top or floor with tricks/training

Postby Exitos872 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Ive decided to try a pocket perch. I will order it tonight. my thoughts are to put the perch on the table and see if hell target
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Good choice, perhaps you can also use it to get him to try for treats on a table, although I think that with his aversion to flat surfaces that he won't target off the perch to the table. That is one that I think that you will have to entice him to try by using treats and letting him ponder how much he might want the free treats.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Exitos872 wrote:
Exitos872 wrote::sun:

Here is my delemma. Although Niko does fantastic with these commands on perches, He wants NO PART of being on a flat surface, I.E. a table top or floor. and has such an adversion to it that its not even in the cards to try other training there, like turning the fetch command in playing with the cute little basket ball hoop i ordered.

So any suggestions?
Pajarita wrote:But why would you need him to be on a flat surface? I can't really think of a reason why this is necessary unless you want to train him to do a particular trick that requires it which, in my mind, if this is the case, it's a completely useless trick.

Useless to you sir. FUN, cute as hell and another challenge to me!

No, no, the 'usefulness' or lack of it is for the bird's benefit, I don't count at all (BTW, I am a 'madam', not a 'sir' :D ). And I hope that you just wrote this answer without really thinking and that it doesn't reflect your true feelings because, to tell you the truth, it reads as if the training ("fun, cute as hell and challenge to me") is for your own entertainment and not the bird's benefit.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Hello Let me add my 2 cents to this. First a parrot likes to hang on to a perch it makes them feel safe, also your parrot is young still trying to learn how to steady it self on a perch. on a table top he slips nothing to grab. Try putting a small rug like one you use in front of the kitchen sink. he will be able to get a grip on the rug and not slide around. Also so a table is low and they like to be high and as a young parrot that's why he flies away. The pocket perch is a good idea I have one. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:01 am

Pajarita wrote:
Exitos872 wrote:
Exitos872 wrote::sun:

(BTW, I am a 'madam', not a 'sir' :D ).

sorry bout that
[quote="Pajarita"

No, no, the 'usefulness' or lack of it is for the bird's benefit, And I hope that you just wrote this answer without really thinking and that it doesn't reflect your true feelings because, to tell you the truth, it reads as if the training ("fun, cute as hell and challenge to me") is for your own entertainment and not the bird's benefit.[/quote]

nope, i wrote the answer to you thoughtfully. I was looking for ways to progress with my bird in his training. witch is for his benefit because im spending time with him and as well as teaching him fun tricks helping him be well behaved as i can. being that hes a captive bird, witch lets face it. Any captive bird, other then one that is being nursed back to health is for our benefit, not thiers. (thats a whole other topic we can talk about threw PM's if you like). Anyway off topic. but your answer was unhelpful and a tad rude so i was trying to be polite as i could by letting you know your answer was less then helpful.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:02 am

Tman007 wrote:Hello Let me add my 2 cents to this. First a parrot likes to hang on to a perch it makes them feel safe, also your parrot is young still trying to learn how to steady it self on a perch. on a table top he slips nothing to grab. Try putting a small rug like one you use in front of the kitchen sink. he will be able to get a grip on the rug and not slide around. Also so a table is low and they like to be high and as a young parrot that's why he flies away. The pocket perch is a good idea I have one. :gcc: :jenday:

Thanks will try that too ;)
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 am

Actually, yours is a very common misconception about training birds. It's good for a bird to know how to step up and recall because these are useful things when keeping a bird captive but these are also things that don't need actual training because birds will do them on their own. But, when it comes to tricks, there is no actual benefit for the bird. None, zero, nada, zilch. A bird couldn't care less if he can wave or play dead or any of the tricks people teach them to do, and knowing how to do these things does not add anything good to the bird's life, they are only for the human's benefit. On the other hand, insisting on teaching a bird tricks when he's not willing, or that he perches where he doesn't want to is most definitely not for his benefit. You don't see birds in the wild waving at you or playing dead so, obviously, none of these things are needed for their survival or even happiness. Geez, birds don't even play in the wild but humans, in their infinite arrogance, have now decided they know better than nature and that a bird needs to play with toys and learn useless tricks to be happy. If you truly want to benefit your bird, go to nature and see how the species lives in the wild and reproduce the conditions (get him a companion or, better still, a mate and another pair of the same species and allow them to live cage-free in a room of their own with natural perches, a good light and proper light schedule and fresh food adequate to the species).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 am

okay thanks
Exitos872
Lovebird

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training