Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My parrot thinks i'm a toy

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

My parrot thinks i'm a toy

Postby 3alya » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 pm

This is not that big of an issue, but it makes it harder to interact. Our traditional dress in the UAE, which i wear everyday, has embroidery on the shoulders, neck, and forearms, and is filled with colorful beads, shiny crystals, and other such things.
Whenever i take Kiki, my 6 months old sun conure, he goes straight to my shoulders and starts playing with these things. At first i let him do what he wanted, but now whenever i try to take him off my shoulders he gets mad and bites a bit. I know i am encouraging him, but i have to get him off of my shoulders, so i offer him my forearm to play with the embroidery there. At least that way i can face him to interact directly, but i was wondering if i can teach him not to do that. I tried distracting him with food and toys, but my clothes are more interesting.
I really dont want him to keep on doing that because i'm afraid he swallows something, and if he broke it then swallowed it will be sharp. Also, he loses interest in everything else, which makes it harder to train him and interact with him. Aand he's ruining my wardrobe, because once you cut the string, the whole thing unravels.
And he's not just doing it to me. If anyone picks him up, he goes straight to the shoulders to try to find something to gnaw at.
Not to sound melodramatic or something, but it makes me feel invisible :cry:
3alya
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure
Flight: No

Re: My parrot thinks i'm a toy

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 pm

I really think that the best way to handle this type of problem is for you to get a few changes of clothing without all of the pretty beads and needlework, just something plain to wear while you are working with your bird. The parrot is only doing the things that it would naturally do, and so is not doing anything wrong. I don't have such fancy clothing, but I also have to have different clothing for wear with my birds if I want to have some clothing suitable to wear in the presence of other humans. Even without all of the fancy stuff they chew on my clothing as well.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Myrtle spends a lot of time on my shoulder, hanging off my back, upside down in the front and pulling pins out of my hair. She also makes little holes in the shoulder of my T shirts. I can't wear button downs around the house because she removes buttons. This is mostly my fault. I get busy in the house and don't pay attention to what she is doing.

When I actually dress up to go out and she tries this I just tell her no and push her off my shoulder. That is a great thing about a flighted bird. You can push them off when correcting them and they won't get hurt. With Rambo I tell him no and put him on the floor to find his own way back to his toys.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby 3alya » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:59 am

Ok then i guess ill find something else to wear when im with Kiki...
3alya
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 am

Chewing and picking at attractive things is part of been a parrot and, with parrots, it's no use trying to train them out of a natural behavior, it's always best to avoid or re-direct so, when it comes to chewing clothes, I've pretty much resigned myself to this fact of life and simply wear my 'parrots clothes' (old Tshirts or jogging outfits full of holes) all day long. Just as an interesting note and to exemplify the problem we go through, I've recently cut my hair short because my cockatoo had chewed up chunks halfway down the length (I wore it in a ponytail to work around the house and he thought the band holding it together and the hair itself was his own personal chewing toy :D )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby 3alya » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 pm

So we simply cannot look pretty with our parrots, but i don't think it matters to them anyways :D
3alya
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:52 pm

I couldn't win or really even compete with a parrot in a beauty contest anyway.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:47 am

Oh, don't sell yourself short, Wolf!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Harpmaker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Someone said "No one parrots like us. We dress in toys for their amusement. Glasses, watches, rings, earrings,..."

Heaven help you if you have pierced ears and large earrings around a parrot!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 pm

With this fad of body piercing , I keep getting a mental picture of a large parrot pulling on one of those studs that some people put in their tongue.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training