Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to tame frightened cockatiel

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to tame frightened cockatiel

Postby Angel85 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:16 am

He was Handfed but became skittish of people due to lack of handling...I have had alot of free time to work with him. All I really did with this guy was feed his favorite treats (seeds, millet) by hand every time and talk sweetly with him. His staple diet is Roudybush pellets so the seeds were a special treat. I also worked on slowly introducing my hand to pet him on his head and crest, which he enjoyed.

Now he comes to me when he sees me. I open his door and he climbs onto my hand. I am sure that being handfed played a role in helping him tame easily. It did take alot of time and patience
Angel85
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Dusky Headed Conure, cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby Tiellove » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 am

[quote="Angel85" You mentioned he was 8 weeks old. Was he handfed or parent raised?
[/quote]

Im not quite sure, but the people at the pet store say he was, so I guess yeah. And yes, yoir story does gibe me heart although I have already tried feeding him millet and sunflower seeds, but if I gove it to him by hand, he goes to other side of the cage
Tiellove
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:00 am

The more time that you spend with him and talking to him the better Just don't ask him to do anything other than to just be there for now, be calm and patient and he will eventually come to you. They all have different personalities and we need allow them that freely.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training