Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Helpful discovery online??

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Helpful discovery online??

Postby Tiellove » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 pm

I found this article online:

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-behavior-and-training/afraid-of-hands.aspx

There was one specific part of this article which took my attention:

Is your parrot really afraid of hands?
One easy way to differentiate is to see if there are times when the bird does not act fearful of hands. For instance, will your pet bird readily take a special treat from your fingers? If so, it’s illogical to think it is afraid of your hands. Some birds avoid hands except when they wish to leave a situation they are not comfortable.

After reading this, I thought again to what happens with my bird. He will take a treat from my hands without being scared, even when I move my fingers, but he will avoid them at all other times. I can't think of a time when I have done something negative to him with my hand, except for when my mom grabbed him to put him back in his cage. That's the only reason I can think of of why he would be scared of the outcome of going on hands.
Tiellove
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Helpful discovery online??

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:16 am

Actually, on that particular piece, Liz Wilson is only talking about birds that refuse to step up which people, mistakenly, take as fear of hands and not birds that are actually afraid of hands which happens more commonly than one would think. And birds will take treats from a hand even if they are afraid of been touched by the same hand.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training