Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Two lovebirds

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Two lovebirds

Postby RenLynn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi, I have a hand fed tame female lovebird and she is a year and some months old now. If I was to get a male for her and he was also tame would they both remain friendly to me? I used to have a pair of lovebirds and the female would crawl down my shirt and bite me, !#$÷×¥ :o she was really mean. The male was OK.
With great power comes great responsibility.
RenLynn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rosy bourke, Budgie
Flight: No

Re: Two lovebirds

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 pm

This is a good question and also one that can be difficult to answer. First of all if the female is already bonded to you and you keep up your interaction time with her then she will probably still be your friend. I can't say the same for a new male that is not bonded to you first, so you would have to spend a lot of time with him to get to the pint where he would accept you without biting.
I don't have lovebirds, but I do have a parrotlet, so I am drawing from what I have learned about her through observation as well as study. They are similar species in many ways, but there are still differences.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Male lovebirds are always sweeter tempered than the females (the dominant gender in lovies) so, as long as he is a hand-fed and young, it should be OK. I had a couple of lovie hens that remained VERY close to me even when they were mated and even when they were incubating eggs! My little princess, Matilda (an Australian cinnamon mutation), comes to mind and this little bird will find the most recondite little nook to make her nest, often worrying me because I could not find her in the birdroom but all I had to do was call her name a few times and she would crawl out of wherever she had her nest and even leave her eggs to perch on my shoulder and kiss me -I lost her 2 years ago and I still miss her greatly! And this was a bird that had been given up because of aggression so go figure!

The trick is not to allow them to become overly hormonal because they can be real mean when they are. So, the answer to your question is Yes, they will - but you have to be careful with their diet and light schedule.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby RenLynn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks a lot that really helped. :D
With great power comes great responsibility.
RenLynn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rosy bourke, Budgie
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training