Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ringneck now refusing to step up

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Ringneck now refusing to step up

Postby snowie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 pm

I have no experience with Ringnecks Pajarita we was giving little information on him by the breeder told me that he likes red apples and was given a bag of seed and shown how to step up etc and that was about it any soft foods you can recommend please
snowie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Mutation
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 am

Gloop is a soft food and you can feed all they want of it their whole lives.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:07 pm

snowie wrote:I have no experience with Ringnecks Pajarita we was giving little information on him by the breeder told me that he likes red apples and was given a bag of seed and shown how to step up etc and that was about it any soft foods you can recommend please

Yes, as Wolf pointed out, gloop is a perfect soft food and, at his age, it would be what I would use but anything soft is good so things like polenta, whole wheat couscous, organic multigrain pasta, even old fashioned oatmeal mixed with baby food works.

Unfortunately for them, ringnecks have become popular with first time owners and, of course, breeders been interested only in selling the babies, they never tell you that these are not easy birds to keep because they need A LOT of every single day attention or they revert easily and much faster than other species to what people call 'their wild ways' which, translated, means that they will not want anything to do with you and will bite you. I have nothing against them, quite the contrary, I love the fact that they become 'unbonded' so very easily, I greatly admire that trait in them but I am not your average parrot keeper as I always try to wean the ones I get of their need for human company.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby snowie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:32 am

Thank you both for your advice just not 100% sure what gloop is cornflour/water he seems to love sweet corn have tried him on all sorts he tries it and just seems to pull it out his dish and drops it to the floor tried pasta but he wouldn't touch it really want him off his seed diet only
snowie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Mutation
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:42 am

A very basic gloop would be cooked whole grains, wild and/or brown rice, cooked white beans, lentils, whole wheat pasta and mixed vegetables ( peas, corn, carrots, and green beans). I also add fresh raw veggies and fruit at the time I serve it, you would want to add more fresh fruits than veggies.
If your bird will not eat this try sprinkling a little of its seed mix on it until it starts to eat this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

Start with just the whole grains cooked al dente and mix the tiniest bit of seeds into them. Once he is not just picking the seeds out but also eating the cooked grains, you can start slowly and gradually adding veggies to it (take the seeds out of his cage at night - and don't give him more than 1/5 of a cup- and wait one hour after he wakes up to feed him so he is good and hungry)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training