Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to parrots

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

New to parrots

Postby StephenandLisa » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:43 pm

OK I will try to be brief. I am new to parrots (birds period) and yesterday I brought home a 3 month old Quaker parrot. How long should it take before he/she is settled and comfortable in her new home? Should I be handling her right away or should I just leave her alone for some time?
I have held her a few times so she gets used to my being, my scent, etc. I have a couple toys and food and water in with her of course. But being a new bird parent I don't know what to do next.
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stephen
StephenandLisa
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot (green)
Flight: No

Re: New to parrots

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:08 pm

At this age, the bird needs low as well as high perches, a cage at eye level in front of a window for natural light, a solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk, soft food served fresh twice a day, a little bit of a multivitamin/mineral supplement (half than the recommended dosage every other day), some 'soft' seeds for dinner and hours and hours of company -and, by all means, cuddle with her if she is not afraid of you. By the way, although birds can smell the same as us, personal scents are not important to them (you are thinking dogs, my dear), voice and looks are much more important to them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: New to parrots

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 pm

I would spend as much time with this bird as feasible, talking and singing with it and if it will step up on to your hand letting it climb about on you. The more time the better, but no training for at least a month. se the time to get to know your bird and its body language also to get it on a healthy diet and light schedule. This is the time to bond with you new baby.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training