Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Not making progress

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Not making progress

Postby Tiellove » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am

Sorry guys, I might look like I'm not taking good care of my 'tiel, but I am seriously trying to make every effort to make him comfortable. But after taking all of your replies and comments into consideration, and then into action, Koki still has not made any progress. In fact, he might even have taken a step into the wrong direction. Now he has started screaming (I think that's it, because it's really loud and high pitched), whenever I'm not close to his cage. He will take millet from my hand, and absolutely refuses to eat fruits, even if that's the only thing in his food bowl. He'll just wait before bedtime when I put seeds in, so I gave up after a week of trying with no success. Also, I've tried to scratch his beak by holding a small piece of millet between my middle finger and thumb, then when he puts his head in to eat it, I gently scratch his beak. I don't know if he enjoys it, because if I put my hand in the cage without any treat, he will back away and go to the highest perch. I've also put him in a seperate cage now - away from the budgies -, and I believe he likes the relocation. He also plays aggressively with his toys (usually when he starts "screaming"), and I don't know what's happening to him. I'm not exactly sure of his age, but I got him just weaned, most likely parent fed, from a pet store, and I have had him for a little more than a month now. I have also tried sitting next to his cage and talking to him, and I think he's used to my voice now, because he doesn't mind my face being right next to his cage now. Please any help would be greatly appreciated, and once again, I'm genuinely trying my best to make him feel happy. Thanks! :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel:
Tiellove
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Not making progress

Postby Tiellove » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:44 am

Oh and I forgot to add this, but I have also tried to scratch his head with one finger (piece of millet between middle finger and thumb, and then scratching side of his head with index finger), but it's been about a week of doing it, and he still recoils from the contact.
Tiellove
Parrotlet

Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I understand that you are trying very hard, but to put things into perspective I want to recap some things.
Sept, 22 - You posted that you had recently got a 2 month old Cockatiel. At this time you were
toweling the bird to put it in its cage.
Oct,7 - You posted that your bird, Koki, was now stepping up willingly onto your hand.

This brings us to today, and you are having the same problems again. Can you tell us what changed in what you were doing since the seventh?
The only thing that I am aware of is that you were trying to change his diet, and it appears that you could use a little help with that. Cockatiels are not the greatest fruit eaters but they do like their veggies and leafy green veggies the best so try things like kale and sweet corn, sweet peas and green beans and carrots for veggies and use cooked whole grains in the mornings instead of seeds. Make sure that the whole grains are under cooked just a little as you want them to still be hard. Let them cool to room temperature and sprinkle just a little of his seed mix on top of that and offer the veggies in a different dish. And then his regular feeding of seeds for dinner.
I know that you separated Koki from the budgies but try placing his cage right next to theirs, so that he still has them to talk to, if you don't already have it this way.
How much time are you spending with him each day?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Tiellove » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 am

All the changes that have occurred since the seventh (don't remember dates):
-I have put the cockatiel and the budgies in different cages.
-My mom decided to get the 'tiel used to hands by holding him and flooding (two times in ten minutes with results ending in blood)
-I relocated the 'tiel's cage to my room
-Koki started whistling "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" yesterday (but he still despises hands, so I dont't know if he's bonded with me or if he's just whistling a tune.)
-Koki started doing wolf whistles.

I spend about 1-2 hours everyday with him, depending on how much freetime I get, and sometimes even more, but I always try to get at least one hour with him.
Tiellove
Parrotlet

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Well, for one thing, you are expecting too much too soon. Parent-raised birds take a looooooong time to trust people and your and your mother toweling him made things A LOT worse. You are now starting on minus ten instead of zero so be patient, keep on trying with the diet - offer just cooked whole grains mixed with only sweet corn and chopped broccoli in a ratio of 3/4 grains and only 1/4 veggies with a leafy green in the morning and his seeds for dinner. He won't eat any fruit so offering him a bowl of fruit is pretty much starving him, my dear, and I am sure that this is not endearing you to him, either -he knows you provide the food so, if there is no food, he will blame you for it.

Are you letting him out for, at least, a couple of hours every day to fly? If you do, eventually, he will start perching on your head and that's a very good first step toward establishing a good relationship.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training