Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot bites my ears when on shoulder

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Parrot bites my ears when on shoulder

Postby seye » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:26 pm

My parrot Zizu, a CAG has gotten attahced to me. The moment I get home and I open his cage he flies to my shoulders. And then we ride all over the house. The only frustrating thing is he wants to 'play with my ears'. It's sharp and painful but i think he's starting to get a tick of amusement when I react. Is there something I can do? This doesn't seem like something other people I read about battle with. He also loves to rip apart my shirt's collar.
seye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot bites my ears when on shoulder

Postby Lizz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Wear a hat until he forgets about it. Myrtle used to stand on my shoulder with one foot and hold my ear with the other. It was getting sore so I wore a scarf.

Every one has parrot clothes with holes in them.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:41 am

How old is he? (he could be beaking) How many hours out of cage? (he could be frustrated) At what time does this happen? (it could be the wrong time of the day for interacting).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seye » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

He is about 5 years old. He has about 2hours out of cage and I am around him for about 6hours a day.When I go to the kitchen to do dishes I carry him on my shoulders. He usually bites my ears to remind me to scratch his head. Which could be frustrating
seye
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:39 am

Well, he needs four hours out of cage with one or two of one-on-one attention so, if all you are doing is walking around or washing dishes with him on your shoulder, that's the reason why he is doing it, he is letting you know you are not doing 'your job' :D . He needs more one-on-one attention and more flying time. One-on-one is different for every species. A great number of them are satisfied with just riding your shoulder or even perching close to you (like amazons, for example) but the needy ones (grays, cockatoos, macaws) are not. They require your looking and talking at them, scratches, games, dances, etc. Also, if you are referring to dinner dishes and this is happening when it's already night or during the sunset, it's the wrong time of the day for it (he needs to be eating his dinner and either getting ready to roost or already asleep by then).

Parrots in the wild follow the same schedule every single day of their lives: they wake up with the sunrise - depending on the species, they either groom and interact a bit or take off foraging with the rest of the flock - they bathe, preen, interact - they rest at noon - they preen, interact - they forage for dinner - they roost and go to sleep with the sunset. Captive birds need to follow the same schedule to stay healthy and happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training