Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

about petting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: about petting

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:05 am

The degree of physical interaction varies with the species. Some LOVE to be touched, hugged, cuddled with, etc (like cockatoos and GCCs, for example), others would limit the areas you can touch and how (amazons don't like to be hugged and usually only like their heads, necks, cheeks and feet touched), others prefer to just perch on your shoulder and get a light touch on their heads every now and then -they would kiss you but they like to be in control of the 'closeness' (aratingas tend to be like that), then you have what is known as aviary birds and those tend to be flighty, independent and a bit aloof when they mature because they would much rather be with another bird than with a human. It's not that they cannot learn to care for one, they can, but, given half a choice, they would gladly leave you behind and go with a bird companion so it only works half way for their human and just because the bird has no other choice - which is a sad commentary on the quality of the relationship.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby kikidee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:43 pm

My parakeet is a lot like yours as far as I can tell from origin and looks. Mine is barely going to be 7 months old this month so I can't say much about their adult hood. Mine loves being with me and loves to play and sit on my shoulder until he sees something that interests him. He'll occasionally let me softly scratch his beak for a few seconds or lightly touch his belly but he prefers to just not really be pet at all. It's fine though because having him chase me and crawl all over me is good enough for me. He can fly but doesn't very much.
kikidee
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Princess of Wales

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Please don't touch his belly, it's a no-no.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stavmylo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Thank you all for the information..i have to do some research but your comments helped a lot!!Im not sure about pellets either.
It doesn't bother me if he never lets me pet him,because there are other ways to interact .On the other hand Jack makes progress in tolerating my touch and doesnt get frustrated with my fingers as much as in the beggining.Anyways thanks for responding..seems like you are doing a great job with your parrots!!
stavmylo
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: regent parrot

Postby stavmylo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 pm

kikidee our parrots indeed behave in a similar way!
stavmylo
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: regent parrot

Postby kikidee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Oh no! Why is it bad to touch his belly? I heard to not touch his back but never heard about the belly.
kikidee
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Princess of Wales

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 pm

kikidee wrote:Oh no! Why is it bad to touch his belly? I heard to not touch his back but never heard about the belly.

Same reason
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Yep, touching them in the belly or the back excites them sexually.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training