Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

He just doesn't want to be touched

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: He just doesn't want to be touched

Postby Crystalmcp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Ok, so far he takes a treat fine from my hand! I have let him out and all he does it sit on top the cage, no problems at all! For the past 2 days he has started talking.. He can say I Love You, pretty bird, hello, shut up and makes some kind of monster sound! He says other things, but I can't make it out! He is doing well on gloop and fruitsand veggies ! One thing he has started today, when I come to his cage he jumps at me, I never bother him when he is in or out the cage, so why is he acting like he wants to attack me all of a sudden?? He does not do this when he is out of his cage... I must have done something to piss him off, but I have no clue what it is
Crystalmcp
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:42 pm

No, you have not, this is him being territorial and defending his home.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:56 pm

What do you mean 'he jumps at me'? Try describing what you do, the way he looks before he 'jumps' and what the 'jump' actually is -him jumping up as if startled or does he stretch out to get close with his beak open or does he actually try to jump on you? Is he clipped? And, if he is not, do you know if used to be clipped?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Crystalmcp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Twice yesterday he jumped towards me (towards me with beak open) when I walked by his cage! It was out of the blue and today he hasn't done it at all ! That robot voice ugh scary !! He has a lot to say, but most of it I have no clue what he is saying
Crystalmcp
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Still sounds to me like he is territorial about his cage. It would help if you could get a picture of this action and post it. My Senegal is territorial about her cage and lunges to bite if she is in the cage but if I just let her come out on her own then all is well and she doesn't try to bite at all.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Crystalmcp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Yea that's how he is doing... If he is out of his cage he doesn't bother a soul ! Do most blue fronts sound mechanical when they talk , or is it just him?
Crystalmcp
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Myrtle has many voices. When she uses Rambo's words she sounds like him. When she is mocking me she sounds like me. Things that she comes up with on her own comes out in a little sissy voice. She speaks smoothly and never mechanical. And she talks a lot even butting into conversations. When she can't think of words fast enough she just baby blabbers.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:51 pm

My bluefront sounds like a sweet little girl, not a mechanical voice at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Both my Grey and my Yellow Nape Amazon have this low gravelly sounding voice but they also have a higher pitched very sweet and smooth voice.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training