Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Silly tame but no fingers

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Silly tame but no fingers

Postby Blownupdolly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:46 pm

I am a wheelchair user and spend a lot of time at home. I decided to buy a cockatiel to keep me company last week. He isn't a baby. He is 2yrs old. The lady who owned him previously got promoted at work and had to increase the amount of time at work which meant Tweety didn't get the attention he deserves. He is a little star. Has a great vocabulary of words and also sings if you're happy and you know it claps your hands. Also does a mean wolf whistle.
Even after just one week I have gained his trust. He will jump onto my hand, fly to me from his cage. Eat biscuit from my mouth and even let me kiss and nuzzle his head with my mouth. Sounds like the perfect pet so far. NO! He point blank refuses to let me stroke or touch him with my hand or fingers.
I am presuming he must have had a bad experience maybe? I really want to get him over this fear as I desperately want to pet him and give him a damn good massage lol.
Do any of you have ideas to get us over this problem?
Blownupdolly
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Silly tame but no fingers

Postby liz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 pm

I rescued an amazon who was terrified and in really bad shape. My first hand touch was a one finger "tickle tickle" to her feet. When she began to fly to me and ask for a "tickle tickle" I would tickle her chin or neck. After 3 years she will let me do anything including flip her over to foot fight. But to this day she will not let me touch her head unless she is hiding under my hair. Her head really needs a good scratching. It might take another year.
It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with him. Accept that he already loves you. It could take some time. I hope we can both give scratches in the future.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 am

Be patient, you have only had the bird for a week. birds don't trust people totally right at first and you are doing well with this one. Relax and enjoy the bird and don't try to force it and it will give you more trust as time passes.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blownupdolly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks Liz. I hope you get your feathered friend sorted.

Thanks wolf. Yes, you are right, I feel very lucky to have got as far as I have in such a short time. Obviously, the fact I am with him nearly all day everyday helps. Last night, he was asleep on my chest. He likes to sit just below my chin. I managed to sneak in two strokes of his back very gently with my finger, but as soon as he woke up he rang down to my tummy away from me. He did come back up again and went back to sleep. He must trust me somewhat to do that. I am not sure it was a good idea to stroke him while he was asleep as I feel a bit guilty for duping him into it.
Blownupdolly
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 am

I know that this will sound to you like a crock, but in all honesty you really should not stroke or pet your bird past its neck, the rest of the bird is basically a big erogenous zone. You really don't want to make your bird into a sexually frustrated bird, it is very hard on you and it becomes extraordinarily painful for them. The nice sweet cuddlely bird that you now have would turn into a screaming, nasty biting machine and you don't want that. It also takes years in most cases to fix this type of situation and yet it can be prevented easily by a solar light schedule, a good, healthy diet and not petting its erogenous zones.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Blownupdolly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Well, I have learnt something today! I had no idea. I owned an Amazon 20yrs ago. He used to lift his wings to be tickled so I presumed it was ok. I won't be touching his back again. Would still love to be able to touch his head. To be honest, it's probably selfish of me. After all, humans need to touch to show affection. Sometimes my urge to show my love this way is very strong. I will just have to control myself.
Blownupdolly
Parakeet

Postby liz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 am

To tell the truth, head scratches are healthy. My cockatiels preen each others heads. Myrtle preens Rambo's head. Rambo does not reciprocate. He only preens her feet. Myrtles head is really waxy and needs some good scratches to loosen the wax on her head feathers.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Scratching and petting their head, neck, and beak is a good thing as well as the bars of their lower jaws under their beak and they love it. It is also a bonding activity for them, and is to be encouraged.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training