Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New GCC

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

New GCC

Postby jen.inverness » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:09 am

I've had Tuki, my (unsexed) green cheek conure since last Thursday.

I leave for work at 7am and m home in between shifts from 1pm until 4pm and am then back at 7pm again.
At least 3x a day I put my hand in the cage with half a grape on it as a treat. Today it took it off my hand ;) which I'm thrilled about; just hope it's not a one off.
I read that this is a good way to get the bird used to my hand.

What would be the next step to get it on my hand?

I've also haven't had it out the cage - wings are not clipped - as I'm not sure if it would go back to the cage before I leave for my afternoon/evening shift. Any ideas?

Many thanks.
jen.inverness
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New GCC

Postby liz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am

You know the next step.

Open the door and invite him to come out and get it. Other than that don't feed him outside the cage. He will go back when he is hungry or tired.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: New GCC

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Hold the treat between your fingers and let the bird take it from your fingers. Make certain that your fingers are on the sides so that you don't accidently get bitten. After your bird takes the treat from you this way a few times then hold the treat so that the bird needs to step up with at least one foot to reach the treat and continue in this manner until it will step up fully. Then you will feel more comfortable with opening the cage door and letting it out.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training