Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Horrible, Unexplainable attacking

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Horrible, Unexplainable attacking

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 am

liz wrote:Your thread title is Horrible, Unexplainable attacking.
The members of this post have given many reasons why he is attacking and offered help to solve the problem. You blew off every answer.

So why did you post your problem if you have no intention of changing to adjust to him. He is a baby that you adopted. If it was a human child Social Services would have stepped in by now.

Rambo is 22 this year and equal to a 5 year old boy. Myrtle is going on 5 and equal to a 2 year old bratty little girl who aggravates her big brother. They are just like two little kids to me.

"A baby conforms to no one. All conform to it."

We went through this with LemonLover who was just 12 and did not have backup from her parents.
The stress caused by your attitude toward you baby is too much for me. I will not be able to continue to read this thread.

I think you think i started this thread? no, i didnt. But i have agreed with a lot that hes been said about overstress. I just want to know about other ideas brought up about saftey for my bird in my actions i love to see facts on. Noone said you had to read and i dont believe i said anything inappropriate. If i had im pretty sure server admin would let me know. Hell i wast even talking to you. /shrug
I have trained my bird to be grabbed and he actually kinda likes it cause he knows hes getting his neck or head scrached when i do. I dont have trust issues as of yet with niko tho. Like i said im just looking for facts that are correct. not trying to piss anyone off.
Maybe its good you dont read the thread and get so emotional of people looking for correct, accurate answers. It cant be healthy for you id imagine. If you do maybe should try and keep as much emotion out of your answers and answer with helpful information? Or maybe even have an idea of who said what?
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 am

Easy Liz ! You are confusing the posters, I believe. Exitos872 is not the original poster and is just having a discussion and difference of opinion with Pajarita. The original poster has listened to everything we have said here, but has not replied since Exitos872 responded to Pajaritas post.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:40 am

The only reason i did chime in when i id is because thing i think were facts are in question. To be honest i dont think the person starting this thread even has any business owning a bird just for the simple fact of thier schedule alone. Nevermind the serious trust issue mistakes. But, i thought the people answering him were doing a good job. But when something i do with my bird comes up. Id like to see facts is all.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 am

I am not having any difficulties with you, although as my purpose is to try to help the bird through the owner I will not give my opinion about who should or should not have birds ,except to say that not one of us actually knows what we are doing.
As for the rest of this as long as we don't attack each other, there is nothing that we can work out. Michael told me that he wanted people to work it out for themselves unless it got too personal and that everyone has a right to voice their opinion. I try to respect this.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Exitos872 wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Oh, Lord, you are either a very young, city born and bred person or you just like to argue for argument sake. I don't need a scientific source, I saw my grandfather killing chickens my entire childhood. And anybody who has seen a chicken killed in a farm can tell you. Compare a Senegal (4.4 ounces) with a chicken (4.5 lb) - the chicken is, roughly, 18 times larger and even as large as that it's the easiest thing to kill it by breaking its neck, it takes no strength whasoever, so imagine how easy it would be to hurt a little thing like a Senegal!

Nope i just asked nicely for a source for your information. Your the only one arguing here about a point you have no proof other then the fact your dad killed some chickens to back it up. And im sure this bri owner in question (call me crazy) if hes trying to train a bird to be grabbed hes not wringing the senegals neck.

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that parrots neck bones are calcified and actually other then the point where the head attaches to the neck, they are actually the strongest bones in the parrots body and the neck area is also the most muscular witch seems about right cause they seem to use thier beaks to pull themselfs up on everything.

Im not trying to start an arguement, I would just like to see some facts and your sources is all. If the information i have obtained is incorrect. Id love to know about it. But if youre saying not to train my bird to be grabbed the way ive been shown because youve seen you dad kill chickens, well then i think im going to go with the scientific side. Im not even sure how you can compare a Parrot to a chicken other then yes, they both have feathers and they both happen to in fact be birds. Other then that they are completely different animals.

I do agree that this Gentleman is having some savere trust issues with this bird

Let me ask you two simple questions: how much experience do you have with parrots? Meaning, how many parrots and for how long? And, if you don't agree with what I write, why don't you do research and show me the links that prove that I am wrong? Because arguing that something is not right without research or personal experience seems a sure way to lose credibility to me.

As to birds' necks, no, you are wrong, their cervical vertebras are not fused (please correct me if I am assuming wrong but it seems to me that when you said 'calcified' you must have meant fused because all bones are calcified as they are made of calcium). Maybe you are thinking of their thoracic vertebras of which some (not all) are fused, or the fact that they have fewer bones because some of them have fused together... or maybe you are thinking of the fused ribs to their vertebra. Birds have more vertebra in their neck than mammals (yes, even more than giraffes) which makes their necks more vulnerable to injury (the longer the 'chain' the more parts that can break). They also have a special shape to them, I forget the name but it means that they look like saddles which makes them much more flexible than ours (think of the owl which can turn its head all the way around).

Now, as to how easy it is to kill a little bird by breaking its neck, it takes only about 15 to 18 psi to break a human's neck (at an average weight of 150 lb, and with a short neck) - you do the math.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 pm

I agree that there is a difference between reacting and overreacting. I feel that (in my case, not yours) tears are overreacting, but an "ow!" is not. Earlier today Fajr was nibbling my ear insistently while I was studying and I kept pulling my head away but still ignoring him as I studied. He stopped briefly, then, frustrated, went being my head and bit my ear hard. I said "ow!" loudly and turned to frown at him, at which point he held up one foot as he does when he eats and is holding his food. At which point I looked at the clock and realized that it was past time for him to eat and sleep. (As it's finals week my circadian rhythm is not very in rhythm). So I took him to his cage immediately. His knowing what hurts me helps him establish a chain of communication. Normally I would pay attention to him the second he started grabbing at my ears but I'm out of sorts this week.

(That said, this situation is the exception, not the norm, I do my best to anticipate his needs and have fruit always available on his play stand. He knows his way around the house and will do everything BUT go to bed on his own. Insists on being delivered there.)
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, Lord, you are either a very young, city born and bred person or you just like to argue for argument sake. I don't need a scientific source, I saw my grandfather killing chickens my entire childhood. And anybody who has seen a chicken killed in a farm can tell you. Compare a Senegal (4.4 ounces) with a chicken (4.5 lb) - the chicken is, roughly, 18 times larger and even as large as that it's the easiest thing to kill it by breaking its neck, it takes no strength whasoever, so imagine how easy it would be to hurt a little thing like a Senegal!

And you obviously don't have a whole lot of experience with birds, do you? Because a bird that is in a highly stressful situation -say, it got its foot caught and it's panicking because it cannot get it out, it fell behind something and it's hanging upside down and cannot get out, or is at the avian vet and they need to draw blood or set a broken bone- would not react favorably to anybody grabbing it regardless of the amount of training it received (and I am giving you examples of things that actually happened to me). When an animal panics, is in pain or scared, training goes out the window so you can train your bird to allow you to grab it but it won't work in an emergency and you will still have to towel it.
"you are either a very young...city born..." Got to love the judgements by this woman... She seems to dish but never able to receive... I don't know why she believes anyone would listen to absolutely anything she says. its human nature to not listen to anyone who is so negative/disrespectful and judgemental of others.... For this reason, no matter even if (some) of her knowledge is useful... i don't see why she is allowed to stay on this forum...! :o
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 pm

I do agree with everyone that you need to find a way to encorporate more one on one quality time and out of cage time...though not so sure if it "has to be exactly four hours etc...." But daily... HOpe that you and your bird are doing better...
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:41 pm

No it does not have to be exactly four hours, that is just a generally accepted guideline, So if all that you can work out on a daily basis is three hours, then go with three as the consistency is probably of more importance in this matter.
The fight is over, please let it have an honorable burial.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:30 pm

It's obvious she can't, Wolf. And it's alright with me as long as she doesn't break the rules.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training