Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Horrible, Unexplainable attacking

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Horrible, Unexplainable attacking

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 am

Firstly, you are not Michael. Secondly, it is good to not over react to your birds bite, but there is a world of difference between reacting and over reacting. The over reacting will lead to the encouraging of the aggressive behavior (biting), whereas just reacting will not.
You have obviously made some pretty serious mistakes with your bird and as a result your bird does not trust you. You are going to have to start all over from the beginning if you hope to gain her trust and have her bond with you. And there can not be any trying to force your bird to do anything at all. That in itself has been one of your biggest and most serious mistakes.
Clipping your bird will do absolutely nothing beneficial for your bird and there is no problem that you have that can actually be solved by clipping her wings. You did good there.
Now then, I have asked you to tell me the birds routine and diet information twice in this thread and am doing so again as it is very important to what is happening with your bird, if that were not the case then I would not ask for it.
What time does Yui, get up and go to bed. We have established that she gets up at around 5 am and goes to bed somewhere between 10 pm or later. This is really bad for your bird as she needs to get up and go to bed with the sun. She needs to be placed where she can get the light from the twilight periods of dawn and dusk. This is how they set and reset their biological clock to synchronize with the seasons. This is very important as if they live on a human light schedule their endocrine system will secrete the sex hormones all year. When this happens to a bird its sex organs enlarge and keep enlarging and cause a tremendous amount of pain, constant, unavoidable intense pain, until the pressure build up to the point of rupturing something and the bird dies in agony. Don't take my word for this fact, do your research. This dependency on light is called photoperiodism, start there.
I asked for dietary information and I have received that she get some unnamed vegetables after your shower and that she eats seeds and only picks certain ones out to eat. When does she get breakfast and dinner? What exactly does she get to eat at these times and what if anything does she have for all day long nibbleing on?
This is also important as food is also one of the triggers that send and keep a bird in their breeding cycle, this is controlled by having an abundance of food as well as the type of food that they have as a diet that has too much protein and fat keeps them producing the hormones that are triggered by the photoperiodism factor and these hormones also have the added effect in increasing the birds aggression.
Petting a bird is a tough one to have to deal with as we all love the closeness and the beauty of these little winged wonders. But you must also understand that except for the beak, the head and the neck that the bird is one big erogenous zone and should not be petted or touched any more than needed for the birds welfare. To do other wise is to invite further disaster in the form of aggression as the petting of these inappropriate areas causes sexual excitement and as there is no release there is also no dissappation of the additional hormones released into their bloodstream by the petting.
A parrot in the wild is actually a pretty docile creature and is not prone to screaming, or biting, or feather plucking or self mutilation. These are all troubles that we have brought on to the birds by our lack of understanding of their physiology and their psychology. We are predators and we live in a dominance based heirarchial society, this is not the case with parrots and our social structure simply will not work for them. They are not capable of conforming to it at all, so you need to develop a different way of viewing the world to be successful with the keeping and maintaining of a healthy and well adjusted bird. A bird lives in a flock oriented social structure where each individual member is responsible for itself and makes it own decisions on how to react or act in any given circumstance, they band together and form strong bonds with the flock for the purpose of avoiding predators. Watch a flock of birds and the ones that are on the outer edges keep watch for danger, they also periodically exchange places with those on the inner portions so that they all get to eat and drink and relax while their place on the outside is taken by some other member. In their world being alone is the same as a death sentence and so they call out to their mate and to the rest of the flock if they find themselves alone, so that they can find their way back to them. Not a single bird is ever required to do anything that they do not want to do.
Are you beginning to see and understand the differences? Can you see what it is that you are doing to cause your problems with your bird and why it is acting this way?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I re read you posts. You want your bird to trust you and let you grab it. Aint gonna happen!!
Grabbing is an aggressive act. An act of disrespect. Really bad.

I have scooped with both hands before a bird will step up. If they are scared of that then they can get away. Have a little mercy on that scared child.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I agree with Liz. I don't know why Michael recommends it as a training tool unless he thinks that flooding is helpful and he would be the only person in the bird world to think so. Ditto about grabbing a bird by the neck -HUGELY dangerous! Their necks are extremely fragile and we are HUGE compared to them.

Your bird is not only hormonal, she is also quite upset with you. You are her only companion but you are never there except at night, when she is tired and cranky and the only thing she wants is to go to sleep. I don't mean to make you feel bad but to explain to you what she is feeling, namely: abandonment, loneliness, depression, confusion and, to put the icing on the cake, she is also most likely quite uncomfortable from a physical point of view due to her enlarged gonads.

I can tell you what to do to get her trust back but unless you put her on a solar schedule, give her a better diet at the right times (one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset) and allow her four hours (during the day, not at night -and yes, 5 am is night) of out-of-cage time with two of one-on-one (they are needy little things), nothing will work. Mine spends 2 to 3 hours of one-on-one (and that means just loving and not training) and 5 of out of cage -she used to be aggressive in her previous home (that's why she was given up) but I can now do anything I want with her and she never, ever, ever bites or even nips me - why? because she is now quite content with her life! Parrots are not easy pets to keep. They are HIGH maintenance because they require A LOT of work and HUGE adjustments in our personal lives as they simply do not adjust to a human lifestyle no matter how much we love them (and not because they don't want to but because they can't), we need to adjust to a bird's lifestyle and not everybody can manage it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Exitos872 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:09 am

Pajarita wrote:I agree with Liz. I don't know why Michael recommends it as a training tool unless he thinks that flooding is helpful and he would be the only person in the bird world to think so. Ditto about grabbing a bird by the neck -HUGELY dangerous! Their necks are extremely fragile and we are HUGE compared to them.

Im going to disagree greatly here (but thats no suprise). I thin its very important to be able to grab your bird if you need to without tormenting the hell out of it sometime there may be a need for it that will save your birds life.
Next im going to ask in all seriousness what source you are getting the idea that the neck bones are more fragile then other bones on a parrot? Please share with me the source id love to read about it.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Oh, Lord, you are either a very young, city born and bred person or you just like to argue for argument sake. I don't need a scientific source, I saw my grandfather killing chickens my entire childhood. And anybody who has seen a chicken killed in a farm can tell you. Compare a Senegal (4.4 ounces) with a chicken (4.5 lb) - the chicken is, roughly, 18 times larger and even as large as that it's the easiest thing to kill it by breaking its neck, it takes no strength whasoever, so imagine how easy it would be to hurt a little thing like a Senegal!

And you obviously don't have a whole lot of experience with birds, do you? Because a bird that is in a highly stressful situation -say, it got its foot caught and it's panicking because it cannot get it out, it fell behind something and it's hanging upside down and cannot get out, or is at the avian vet and they need to draw blood or set a broken bone- would not react favorably to anybody grabbing it regardless of the amount of training it received (and I am giving you examples of things that actually happened to me). When an animal panics, is in pain or scared, training goes out the window so you can train your bird to allow you to grab it but it won't work in an emergency and you will still have to towel it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Rambo bit my ear lob when he was on my shoulder and a man came to close.

Myrtle bit me twice in the three years I have had her. Both times she was in distress and tried to use my finger to pull out of it.

I have had many cockatiels and a small flock right now. Yes they give little bites if they are scared. I only had one mean one who I nick named Pit Bull. I think she liked the taste of blood.

No healthy, well cared for and loved bird is going to attack for the sake of attack. He may have a head ach or a belly ach or like they mentioned a swollen gland. I am irritable when that happens and I am sure you are. Give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt that you have to adjust to help him.

Whoever that member was that put his birds exrays on the forum. Please do it again. Such tiny little bones even in my Amazons.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:03 am

Pajarita wrote:Oh, Lord, you are either a very young, city born and bred person or you just like to argue for argument sake. I don't need a scientific source, I saw my grandfather killing chickens my entire childhood. And anybody who has seen a chicken killed in a farm can tell you. Compare a Senegal (4.4 ounces) with a chicken (4.5 lb) - the chicken is, roughly, 18 times larger and even as large as that it's the easiest thing to kill it by breaking its neck, it takes no strength whasoever, so imagine how easy it would be to hurt a little thing like a Senegal!

Nope i just asked nicely for a source for your information. Your the only one arguing here about a point you have no proof other then the fact your dad killed some chickens to back it up. And im sure this bri owner in question (call me crazy) if hes trying to train a bird to be grabbed hes not wringing the senegals neck.

Im pretty sure i read somewhere that parrots neck bones are calcified and actually other then the point where the head attaches to the neck, they are actually the strongest bones in the parrots body and the neck area is also the most muscular witch seems about right cause they seem to use thier beaks to pull themselfs up on everything.

Im not trying to start an arguement, I would just like to see some facts and your sources is all. If the information i have obtained is incorrect. Id love to know about it. But if youre saying not to train my bird to be grabbed the way ive been shown because youve seen you dad kill chickens, well then i think im going to go with the scientific side. Im not even sure how you can compare a Parrot to a chicken other then yes, they both have feathers and they both happen to in fact be birds. Other then that they are completely different animals.

I do agree that this Gentleman is having some savere trust issues with this bird
Last edited by Exitos872 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 am

Pajarita wrote:

And you obviously don't have a whole lot of experience with birds, do you? Because a bird that is in a highly stressful situation -say, it got its foot caught and it's panicking because it cannot get it out, it fell behind something and it's hanging upside down and cannot get out, or is at the avian vet and they need to draw blood or set a broken bone- would not react favorably to anybody grabbing it regardless of the amount of training it received (and I am giving you examples of things that actually happened to me). When an animal panics, is in pain or scared, training goes out the window so you can train your bird to allow you to grab it but it won't work in an emergency and you will still have to towel it.

Whos to say its a high stress situation im talking about. How bout if the bird is going to be in a bad situation. you as a human being see that an woul like to grab him before he jumps into the toilet bowl, without stressing him out???
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby liz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:53 am

Your thread title is Horrible, Unexplainable attacking.
The members of this post have given many reasons why he is attacking and offered help to solve the problem. You blew off every answer.

So why did you post your problem if you have no intention of changing to adjust to him. He is a baby that you adopted. If it was a human child Social Services would have stepped in by now.

Rambo is 22 this year and equal to a 5 year old boy. Myrtle is going on 5 and equal to a 2 year old bratty little girl who aggravates her big brother. They are just like two little kids to me.

"A baby conforms to no one. All conform to it."

We went through this with LemonLover who was just 12 and did not have backup from her parents.
The stress caused by your attitude toward you baby is too much for me. I will not be able to continue to read this thread.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Exitos872 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 am

liz wrote:Your thread title is Horrible, Unexplainable attacking.
The members of this post have given many reasons why he is attacking and offered help to solve the problem. You blew off every answer.

So why did you post your problem if you have no intention of changing to adjust to him. He is a baby that you adopted. If it was a human child Social Services would have stepped in by now.

Rambo is 22 this year and equal to a 5 year old boy. Myrtle is going on 5 and equal to a 2 year old bratty little girl who aggravates her big brother. They are just like two little kids to me.

"A baby conforms to no one. All conform to it."

We went through this with LemonLover who was just 12 and did not have backup from her parents.
The stress caused by your attitude toward you baby is too much for me. I will not be able to continue to read this thread.

I think you think i started this thread? no, i didnt. But i have agreed with a lot that hes been said about overstress. I just want to know about other ideas brought up about saftey for my bird in my actions i love to see facts on. Noone said you had to read and i dont believe i said anything inappropriate. If i had im pretty sure server admin would let me know. Hell i wast even talking to you. /shrug
I have trained my bird to be grabbed and he actually kinda likes it cause he knows hes getting his neck or head scrached when i do. I dont have trust issues as of yet with niko tho. Like i said im just looking for facts that are correct. not trying to piss anyone off.
Maybe its good you dont read the thread and get so emotional of people looking for correct, accurate answers. It cant be healthy for you id imagine. If you do maybe should try and keep as much emotion out of your answers and answer with helpful information? Or maybe even have an idea of who said what?
Exitos872
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training