Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming a lovebird without millet

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Taming a lovebird without millet

Postby scatman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:23 pm

I bought a 2 month old lovebird today (peach faced), i named it buya. Buya was not handfed hence not tame at all. The petstore clipped his wings and told me it's easier to tame a clipped bird (After reading many posts on this forum, i now know i should have kept his wings). The petstore also didn't have any millet spray. I also went to other petstores and all of them did not have millet sprays!
The pet store only fed it yellow round seeds (http://s23.postimg.org/pfeo2lhbv/millet.png)
Is this millet seed? what is this seed called?
I put other seeds and fruits in the cage but buya won't eat them (he seems to love the yellow round seeds)
My questions are:
Are these millet seeds? http://s23.postimg.org/pfeo2lhbv/millet.png
Should i remove those seeds from the cage and keep them as treats?
How can i tame a very scared lovebird without having millet spray?
Is it too early to get Buya out of the cage?
What's the best approach to tame my bird?
scatman
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Taming a lovebird without millet

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:10 pm

You might check at Wal Mart. The one where I live has millet in their pet dept. You may want to slow down a bit as your new bird needs to acclimate to you and its new surroundings. What you do want to do is to place the cage so that it is at about eye level and keeping your hands away from the cage just talk and sing to your bird. This will help to calm your new bird as well as begin to get it accustomed to your presence and the sound of your voice. Try offering this little bird apple as a treat or a small piece of swiss chard, if you try the apple just offer it a very thin long piece of it through the bars of the cage and the same with the swiss chard. Don't worry about it if the bird doesn't take it at first as it doesn't know you yet. Also you really don't need any treat for the first two or three days, just spend lots of time talking and singing to the bird until it shows that it is looking forward to seeing you.
I don't know for sure but the seed that you speak of may be canary seed or even a different variety of millet than the sprigs of millet.
This is all you should do for the next two or three days.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby scatman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:59 am

After a bit of searching, i found out that the seeds are called proso millet.
Unfortunalty there is no Wal Mart in my country. I asked many places and no one has millet sprays.
Buya is 2 months old and will only eat proso millet.
Should i remove the seeds from the cage hence forcing the bird to eat fruits and lovebird seeds?
Can i use proso millet as treat instead of millet spray?
scatman
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:51 am

I would not totally remove them at this point in your relationship with her. I think that I would reduce the amount of them to about 25% of the seeds that you feed her. Just mix them in with the other seeds so that she begins to understand that they are all food. It will take her a little time to make the connection in her mind, but she will begin to eat the other seeds although she will pick them out to eat first.
Where do you live? We have members from all over the world and if they know that you live nearby some of them might try to contact you or reply to you here to help you to find the things that you need for your bird. Or at least I would hope that they would do so.
Yes, you can use them as a treat instead of the spray millet.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby scatman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:33 am

thanks a lot wolf
I will do exactly as you mentioned
I live in Lebanon :)
scatman
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 am

Wolf wrote:You might check at Wal Mart. The one where I live has millet in their pet dept. You may want to slow down a bit as your new bird needs to acclimate to you and its new surroundings. What you do want to do is to ...place the cage so that it is at about eye level and keeping your hands away from the cage just talk and sing to your bird.... This will help to calm your new bird as well as begin to get it accustomed to your presence and the sound of your voice. Try offering this little bird apple as a treat or a small piece of swiss chard, if you try the apple just offer it a very thin long piece of it through the bars of the cage and the same with the swiss chard. Don't worry about it if the bird doesn't take it at first as it doesn't know you yet. Also you really don't need any treat for the first two or three days, just spend lots of time talking and singing to the bird until it shows that it is looking forward to seeing you.
I don't know for sure but the seed that you speak of may be canary seed or even a different variety of millet than the sprigs of millet.
This is all you should do for the next two or three days.

The face to face really works better than any other method.
Go online and search the words millet for sale. It has come to the point that you can find anything and buy it online.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Taming & Basic Training