Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Placing a tamed bird with an untamed one

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Placing a tamed bird with an untamed one

Postby scatman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:03 am

So i have an un-tamed lovebird who's very scared of me. If I get a tamed lovebird and placed it with the untamed one, will the behavior of each lovebird change?
Will the tamed one become un-tamed and then bonds with the un-tamed lovebird?
or will the un-tamed lovebird become tamed?
scatman
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Placing a tamed bird with an untamed one

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:18 am

Offhand, I would say a bit of both would occur. I don't have any love birds, the closest that I have is a parrotlet, but I understand that they are similar in many ways, so much so that when parrotlets were first discovered in the New World they were thought to be another species of love bird. You can't tell the sex of a lovebird unless you get a dna test or you see it lay an egg.
Like all other species of birds they will learn from each other, the more tame and bonded to you a lovebird is when you introduce it to an untamed one the less it will revert to wild ways and the quicker the untamed one will learn to trust you and become tame. But this can also work in the reverse order in that if your bird is not tame and bonded adequately then the more of the wild ways that it will pick up from the untamed bird. And of course, there is the issue of which sex the birds are.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:40 am

The only birdie baby who came to me tame was Lola. I did not bond with her before I let her in the flock. She became a flock member and not a pet. That only lasted a few weeks when she realized I would let her be what she wanted to be. She now gives me kisses and dances when I sing to her.

:swaying: Tweetle Dee was stronger than :swaying: Tweetle Dumb. Tweetle Dee bonded with me but would not let me near Tweetle Dumb who had medical problems.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:12 am

I personally think that nothing makes an untamed bird realize that humans are good than seeing a tame bird interact with one so I think it would be beneficial.

BUT lovebirds bond extremely deeply so it depends on the gender of the tamed one whether it would remain as 'friendly' to the human as before when it did not have a bird companion or whether this bond will be reduced. I had a little hen (Matilda) that was handfed and loved humans and she remained tame and sweet-tempered even when she had a mate (which was not people friendly at all) and was nesting (she would come out of her nest with eggs when I called her to perch on my shoulder and cuddle with me every single day).

The other consideration is that, when it comes to lovebirds, you can put a male and female together as well as two males but you cannot put two females together because, eventually, they will fight so I hope you took this into consideration and had your birds DNA'd before you put them together (quarantine also comes to mind).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training