Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PLEASE HELP ME FIND A BIRD BREEDER

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND A BIRD BREEDER

Postby Cockatiel Lover » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 pm

My friend, Kelly, has been wanting a galah(rose breasted cockatoo) for a while now. She has owned many parrots in the past and has a passion for birds. She's been researching galahs for a while now and knows it is right for her. But she can't find a breeder, locally or nationwide with galahs. She came to me for help but i don't know what to tell her. She lives in Illinois, and said that she would prefer being able to see the galah before adopting. But it's okay if she can't. I would reallyyy like to help her. Please help? :danicing:

P.S. I didn't know what topic to post this in! So I just did this one.
Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
Cockatiel Lover
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: PLEASE HELP ME FIND A BIRD BREEDER

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 pm

I would love to help you, but I can't, But it is not because I can't locate breeders, even though she doesn't live in my area. But I would like for you to understand why, I can't. I believe it is important.
I don't know how old your friend is, but she is probably near to your age and you say that she has had many parrots in the past. You say that she has a passion for birds and if this is true where are the other birds? Did they get sick and die? Did they escape and not recovered? Did she rehome them? These bird have long lifespans, cockatiels can live for 20 years, budgies for up to 14 years, Galahs live for 40 years and there are some parrots that live up to 80 years or longer. So what happened to the birds?
Of all the different possibilities that there are for what happened to the birds, rehoming is the only one in which you can be sure that the bird survived and rehoming says nothing for her being passionate about her birds. Parrots in most cases mate for life and their bonding is the same think and if you go away or rehome them they grieve just as if you had died, try to imagine how you would feel if your sister died and how you would feel and that is very close to what a parrot goes through every time that it is rehomed. I just can not knowingly put one through this if there is any way to avoid it.
And this is why I can't help in this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Cockatiel Lover » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Wolf, I admire your concern. I guess it is my fault for inaccurately portraying the information. The birds she has are still alive and well cared for and loved. She has grown up with parrots as a young toddler because her family has adopted many. Her family wants to add another feathered friend to their flock. None of the parrots have been rehomed, diagnosed with any illnesses, or killed. :D
Cockatiel Lover
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 am

I don't mind trying to find perhaps some links, if I can for galahs needing to be adopted if that would be acceptable.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Cockatiel Lover » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:49 am

Thank you so much for your help! It would help so much with your expertise and knowledge. I am currently doing just that and trying to find breeders. I'm facetiming her too. :lol:
Cockatiel Lover
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 am

Search buy Galah and see what it brings up. You can also search rescue galah.
http://www.rescueme.org with a /and state name to see what is in the area or surrounding states. A rescue from a shelter will give you one on one with an individual and at least some back round on it.

I never wanted a dog or a cat they just find me. I had cockatiels but never even thought of getting a parrot. I had met Rambo but only knew that he was a green pedestrian who said words.
When my neighbor said she was going to sell him so she would have more time for her baby, I took him with his cockatiel friend and a little dog.

I did search for Myrtle because Rambo was an only parrot and I thought he should have a friend of his own. That worked 2 ways.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:07 pm

If she has other birds, a Galah might not be a good idea. Cockatoos are not easy parrots (and that's saying A LOT because no parrot is easy!), they are VERY needy animals and, although the white ones (Umbrellas, sulfur crested, etc) are not too bad in terms of jealousy, Galahs are! All the ones I know personally are very problematic in this respect so I hope your friend realizes that she will need to take this bird out for 4 to 6 hours a day (they do need more time than other parrots) in a room where no other person or bird is while she still has to make separate time for her other birds... Galahs are BEAUTIFUL but they are difficult birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training