Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Frightfull budgie

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Frightfull budgie

Postby Glutonicus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Hello there,

The new budgie we acquired 2 weeks ago [Mozart] doesn't seem to like our presence when we reach close the cage. Mozart seems to be at least 3 months old and we put him in a large cage where he's got: a pear-shapped mirror, a bell which he likes to try, and a sepia bone. For the things I've learned and experimented with this kind of animals, give me the sense that Mozart is a ind of 'non-social' bird. We'd like you to give us opinion about this little fellow.

P.S: My girlfriend has Mozart in her house and due to our university life, she spends most of the time in school than in house, at week-days. Maybe this is causing the bird some leak of socielity, as he spends most of the day alone in his cage.
Glutonicus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Australian Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Frightfull budgie

Postby kimbo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:17 pm

if your bird is on his own most of the day thats probably why hes not getting used to you being around. you have to start with comfortable boundaries, meaning go near the cage and see where the bird is ok with you being there. then gradually start going a little nearer, your bird will eventually accept you near its cage. but its not an overnight thing. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby Glutonicus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm

That's what we're trying to do with him, kimbo. The problem is that he's in the kitchen where a lot of people get close the cage to do things like going to the fridge, putting clothes in the washing machine, etc. Maybe that isn't helping the bird socializing with us, but we can't put Mozart in another place...
Glutonicus
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Australian Budgie

Postby Suzzique » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 pm

He should really be in whatever room you spend the most time in becides the kitchen. The kitchen is not a heathly place for him to be.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby pabeth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

I'd take out the mirrors or anything shiny where he can see his reflection. If I give my bird a toy with a mirror, she will just watch herself and bob her head and just be best friends with the bird in the mirror, and starts to get extra aloof to me. They think it is another bird for real.
pabeth
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet

Postby kimbo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

i do agree that the kitchen isnt the best place for a bird as there is normally cooking and cleaning going on. but mozart should get used to the noises, my kitchen is off my front room and chico is ok with it all.with people being around, get them to talk to mozart as they pass the cage this might help calm him. but do go on the training posts and see if any could apply. (no teflon in the kitchen).
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Agree about the kitchen dangers, which are magnified when you have housemates as it sounds like is the case. Any Teflon-type nonstick coating (all but the new ceramic coatings on pots and pans are in this category) can be fatal if overheated, and some self-cleaning ovens have the same chemical compound in their linings, so running the clean cycle is dangerous. Plus smoke from cooking isn't exactly good for birds. So if that's the only option, it is a risky one, and anyone using the kitchen should be made aware of the dangers. Nonstick coatings do have to overheated to emit fumes, but it is a lot easier to overheat them than people tend to think. It can happen during what seems to be normal cooking.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun May 02, 2010 3:24 am

i got my budgie at 8 weeks old, he was aviary bred and he is 6 months old on the 14th of may and its only been at the most 3 weeks where he is coming out on my hands 100% of the time

even with a young budgie it takes time
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby alight15 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 am

Glutonicus

Give it some more time,and as much interaction as you can,say hello or bend down and greet him at eye level when you're passing by(they wont get scared if you're at the safe distance of around 3 feet from him or the cage).The mirror is good if he's alone a lot,so he doesnt get lonely,the mirror can be a comfort if he gets scared when you're not there.I treat my budgies mirror as a normal toy and alternate it every month or so.

Imagine if you were trapped in a single room, with a spot in it where you can walk infront of and say something, and 5 seconds later you see a true to life hologram of you saying the same thing,you'd have some less than sane fun with it.The mirror for them, is the same thing,my parakeet shows no interest in mirrors though, when he sees a real budgie around(even new full sized mirrors he hasn't seen before), or now that he's watching tv with me, when ever I'm around.There just needs to be a balance with them,sometimes if hes lonely he might want the mirror as apposed to nothing, the key is to make him want to settle on you rather than the on mirror at those times.

Be the source of all the fun in his life,or the 'gatekeeper' of said fun,and the mirror will only be a last resort when he's bored
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby Titanius » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm

I have a question.... Say your away a portion of the day for school.. As soon as I get home Im usually in the computer room. While during the day Jasper is by the table near the kitchen. Would it be okay for me to move him upstairs with me once I'm home and once he's ready to go to sleep move him back? My big question is if he will be unsettled by the frequent change of scenery?
Titanius
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training