Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot that wakes up easily

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Parrot that wakes up easily

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Does anyone else have this problem? His cage gets covered with a dark blanket. And, i turn out any lights near him. I try to make sure he gets his twelve hours (what is proven just right for him) from six to six basically... But, i walk on egg shells to keep him from waking. I resort to low and quiet activity if i am home... But, even so much as walking by can wake him up... The funny things is he will yell to me and bang on his cage with his beak or something in his cage as if to say... "Hey, quiet out there..." If i wash dishes he freaks out...(sometimes i will youtube light relaxing music for him to focus on instead of any slight noise im making and this will help...tho not always) (((((((((I am sooooooooooo controlled)))))))))))) I hear about others who don't even cover thier cage...how is this even possible? :?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot that wakes up easily

Postby Dindey » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 pm

I experience this also with my Lovebird Mango. He lives in my room with me (he's unable to live out in the house), and I put him to bed around 9, and he gets up around 9-10 the next day. Though I do notice that if anyone is walking in the hallway, if I roll over in my sleep, even if I wake up around 7-8 he will wake up and stirr and chirp and play with his things, and I have to be DEAD SILENT, or I have to ignore him completely for him to settle back down (and sometimes that can take a good half an hour).

I have no advice really, as I've only owned one bird in my life... o_o But I do experience the same thing so you're not alone! Maybe it's just a personality thing?
Dindey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black-Masked Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby liz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:56 pm

They are all so different. If Rambo hears me moving around, while still asleep, he will say "nite nite !" As if to tell me go back to bed. Rambo and Myrtle both sleep until 10 am. My problem is Lola the cockatiel. Her last Mom must have gotten up early. She starts calling me at 6:30 am. I try to stay in bed but she keeps calling. When I finally give up and get a cup of coffee she has done her job and shuts up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I believe that being prey animals that all of them wake up during the night if their is any noise at all or even if there is not. I know for a fact that if certain noises are normal for the house in which I live that any change be it an increase in noises or a decrease will wake me up just as quickly. In the wild either an increase or a decrease in the normal noise level is usually an indicator of the presence of a predator. If the bird wakes up to you moving about it will usually go back to sleep shortly after you quit moving about.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:02 pm

If they are not exposed to twilight, they don't get drowsy. If they are kept to a solar schedule, they fall asleep on their own as night falls, the way Nature meant them to and, like Wolf said, get used to the 'normal' household noises but that doesn't include TV or radio unless they are kept at a very low volume (my husband sometimes watches a soccer game in the kitchen while we feed the dogs and cats but keeps it very, very low) so it becomes more white noise than anything else. My birds don't even react when the dogs make their 'normal' eating noises, only when they start barking in alarm (which hardly ever happens because we don't receive company once night falls).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training