Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

He screams every time I leave

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: He screams every time I leave

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Well some of us cook food for our birds.It is very difficult to find a store bought food that meets the actual requirements nutritionally for our birds so I feed my birds a food that we call gloop. It consists of cooked white beans, lentils, whole grains, and vegetables. In addition to this we feed raw vegetables and fruit which vary depending on what is available and upon the species of bird and follow this with an evening meal of a good quality seed mix. I will let Pajarita supply you with the recipe as it is hers.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am

Wolf always mentions beans first but, in my recipe, there are more grains than beans. I use wheat, kamut (which you could substitute with millet or quinoa because kamut kernels are big and although my tiels eat them with gusto, it might be easier to start yours with smaller grains), oats, black japonica/red Himalyan/wild rice (you can substitute with brown rice), small white beans (don't use any 'colored' ones) and veggies: chopped broccoli, corn, hominy, peas, carrots, green beans (I am now using the whole French ones but it will be easier if you use the regular ones finely chopped), butternut and sweet potatoes cubes - a bit of flax and a bit of sesame seed and you have an excellent diet for tiels and you can find all the ingredients in Whole Foods with the possible exception of oat groats but you can use steel cut ones which they do have. Tiels don't really eat fruits, it's rare the one that does and, when they do, it's usually a few bites of apple and nothing else but they do love their greens (any lettuce except iceberg, chickory, escarole, all cabbages including nappa, bok choy, Swiss chard, kale, etc) and would much on grated carrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:39 am

You are right I do, probably because I like beans a lot so they are the first thing that enters my mind. My version now has about 20% beans in it, maybe less as I use the same amount of beans and lentils and they make up only about 25% of the total mixture.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training