Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fajr's sudden hatred

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Fajr's sudden hatred

Postby shiraartain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 am

Fajr has suddenly decided he absolutely hates the twins. Perhaps this is the result of seeing other family members shower affection upon them. Perhaps he hears birds sounds from downstairs, sees the twins go down there for hours, and knows that he isn't allowed down there, and has put all this together and become angry. I honestly do not know. We know he can differentiate between them because he snubbed one from a very early age, but lately he has become extremely aggressive, flying after them to chase them out of rooms, biting them in sensitive areas with the intent of hurting them as much as possible (Lips, ears). They used to feed him at the same time as their birds, but I've taken over this as he will angrily come for them and I don't want either the twins or Fajr injured. This has been going on for about a week, maybe a day or two less. He is about a year old now.

Because I know you will ask:
Morning is gloop-mixture of fruits, greens, veggies, with lentils and brown rice.

Night is a bit of seed.

Light schedule- sunrise to sunset.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Fajr's sudden hatred

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 am

Actually, I am thinking that it is breeding season and he is about a year old, so he may be protecting his territory. It may be that he has begun puberty and is acting like an adult male in breeding season and if so it will pass with breeding season.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Yep, that's what I think also: breeding season. But, I think it's also the fact that he is now becoming sexually mature and the usual baby bonhomie of going to everybody could be pretty much gone. Now, usually (or, at least, in my personal experience), when they are not hormonal, they still have their preferences and might nip if a non-chosen person asks them to step up but they will not actively pursue aggression as you describe he is now doing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:24 am

Well, it is a total relief that it won't last forever! Parjarita, I never expected him to get along with everyone in the first place, so wasn't surprised when people dropped in rank for him, but the actual chasing was alarming, to say the least.

The twins now stay at a distance when he is present and he gets told "no" as soon as his feathers go up and he starts displaying signs of aggression, but thankfully we have had no more chases. I don't know how we would live if they became a permanent part of life :( . We'd have to restrict his flight time which feels like an inhumane thing to do after letting him be so free for so long.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:16 am

In my personal opinion and experience, birds go through changes and even when they hate somebody, in time, they do eventually accept this person (or bird) and stop the attacks as long as they are not overly hormonal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:11 pm

I've been watching Fajr closely and just yesterday night realized what's happening. My youngest sister feeds all the birds their night seed. We ran out of seed one night before the aggression began and I told my sisters to feed the birds the pellets we had put away just for that night and asked my Dad to pick up some seed. Some issues came up and it turned out that unbeknownst to me, she had been feeding them pellets every night and my Dad had forgotten to get the seed :? . So my Dad and I went out and we bought some seed immediately and all the birds are back on seed at night.

I thought our bird care plan was foolproof, but I didn't consider that the logistics of replenishing food have changed since two new parrots joined us and I'm not going to notice the levels of food going down since I'm not the one feeding the parrots. It didn't even cross my mind- the daily question I ask them is "have you fed the birds?" . It only came to my mind as I was reading a thread on here and the owner of a Cinnamon GCC mentioned they fed him pellets.

We bought a small pack of seed from the store and now I'm ordering more online in order to ensure this won't happen again.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Return to Taming & Basic Training