Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

adopted cockatoo

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: adopted cockatoo

Postby simca357 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Wolf wrote:I think I would work on step up first.

okay, thank you very much :cockatoo: :cockatoo:
simca357
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African Lovebird
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 am

Would love to see pictures of your new friend and to learn her name.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:38 am

I would wait a bit before I start even target-training at all because she sounds as if she is terrified. Cockatoos practically live on the floor and one of the biggest problem we have is to get them off it (they like to go after feet) so if she is not going to ground, she is very very very scared and training when they are so scared is actually counterproductive. You would be much better off in the long run to wait until she is more comfortable in her new surroundings.

Also, I warn you, there is no such thing as birdproofing for a cockatoo! These birds will chew your house down from the window sills to the walls to the floors and even the ceilings if they can reach them! They are demolition experts! I had two umbrellas that, one breeding season, they decided they did not like their 'usual' nest (under a wooden coffee table I had given them) and chewed a hole in the wall almost a yard in circumference and were already halfway through the beams in one single afternoon! Another example, my husband removed the flooring in the birdroom yesterday so as to replace it with new linoleum and, when I went in this morning, Freddie, a lesser sulfur cockatoo, had started chewing the hardwood floor pulling long slivers of the edges of the boards!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby simca357 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:43 am

Pajarita wrote:I would wait a bit before I start even target-training at all because she sounds as if she is terrified. Cockatoos practically live on the floor and one of the biggest problem we have is to get them off it (they like to go after feet) so if she is not going to ground, she is very very very scared and training when they are so scared is actually counterproductive. You would be much better off in the long run to wait until she is more comfortable in her new surroundings.

Also, I warn you, there is no such thing as birdproofing for a cockatoo! These birds will chew your house down from the window sills to the walls to the floors and even the ceilings if they can reach them! They are demolition experts! I had two umbrellas that, one breeding season, they decided they did not like their 'usual' nest (under a wooden coffee table I had given them) and chewed a hole in the wall almost a yard in circumference and were already halfway through the beams in one single afternoon! Another example, my husband removed the flooring in the birdroom yesterday so as to replace it with new linoleum and, when I went in this morning, Freddie, a lesser sulfur cockatoo, had started chewing the hardwood floor pulling long slivers of the edges of the boards!

ok noted :) and what i meant for bird proof is close the windows and possible tight places she could possibly go if she is down on the ground, and i have witnessed there joy of destroying things she went up on the computer and threw all my papers and folders but she never went down i think its because she was always tethered in her perch. thanks for your advice :)

Wolf wrote:Would love to see pictures of your new friend and to learn her name.

i would post pictures after my camera is fixed, all of our phones are not colored and no cams haha sorry. i have another question, as micheal posted here in the forums, training step up is holding the target out of range so that she would decide to stand on my arm but as i have seen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbav1ugF3Nk he didnt target it, which is better, targeting it or luring it directly with food? thanks :)
simca357
Parrotlet

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo

Postby liz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:05 am

I have learned with my kids that the more freedom they have the tighter they bond with me.

I once told a member from Australia that it must be wonderful to see a flock of cockatoos at a bird feeder. She replied that no one puts feeders out for them because of the destruction they can do while hanging around. Examples include what they can do to the shingles on the roof.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

To tell you the truth, I have never had to use either way, because once the bird decides to trust you it will usually step up on its own, However, I would cast my vote with treats as bribery can work wonders with a bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby simca357 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:09 am

liz wrote:I have learned with my kids that the more freedom they have the tighter they bond with me.

I once told a member from Australia that it must be wonderful to see a flock of cockatoos at a bird feeder. She replied that no one puts feeders out for them because of the destruction they can do while hanging around. Examples include what they can do to the shingles on the roof.

haha yess thats what i have learned from my african lovebird too but i cant seem to let my cockatoo walk around but she does go up on the computer and because of that i think shes trusting us more :)

Wolf wrote:To tell you the truth, I have never had to use either way, because once the bird decides to trust you it will usually step up on its own, However, I would cast my vote with treats as bribery can work wonders with a bird.

ok Wolf thanks for your advices and help :) will be posting pictures soon :D
simca357
Parrotlet

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:38 pm

I don't do training sessions and have never used a target stick or a clicker but all my captive-bred birds step up on command because, it's as Wolf says, once they trust you and like you, they want to be on you so you don't really need anything to get them to step up - although you sometimes need a bribe to get them to step down from you :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training