Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

just adopted 4yr old grey

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

just adopted 4yr old grey

Postby shikoba » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:52 pm

This bird is sweet, talkative, and very friendly. When I was in her original home, she was very affectionate and stepping up on my arm. She was very relaxed and almost like she knew me. Since I brought her home, she refuses to get up on my arm. She still talks to me, she lets me scratch her head but whenever I try to get her to step up, she moves to other side of cage or gets mildly aggressive. Is this normal of getting into a new home. Will this subside with time and patience on my part or is there something I should do to train her? She has only been in my home for a few days so this isn't nothing long term yet, I was just wondering if I should keep trying or give her time to adjust. Thanks
shikoba
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel, African grey,
Flight: No

Re: just adopted 4yr old grey

Postby liz » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:59 am

sounds like she is already doing pretty good.
keep in mind that they are like children ranging from 2 to 5 years old. you just brought your kid home to a different world. he left every thing he knew and must adjust to his new life.

if she moves to the back of her cage when your hand is in it just don't put your hand in it. open the door and let her come out on her own.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:55 am

At this point she is alone in a strange environment with a human that she has only just met but does not yet know. Since this would be a death sentence in their natural environment she is scared and will require some time to adjust as well as to begin to trust you. Don't reach into her cage to bring her out, just open the door and let her come out on her own. You can encourage this by putting a perch on the inside of the door so that it is on the outside when the door is open. Or you can place the perch on the outside of the cage next to the door. The more time that you can spend nearby just talking and singing to and with her the better as this will help her to get used to you and the sound of your voice.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Wolf wrote:At this point she is alone in a strange environment with a human that she has only just met but does not yet know. Since this would be a death sentence in their natural environment she is scared and will require some time to adjust as well as to begin to trust you. Don't reach into her cage to bring her out, just open the door and let her come out on her own. You can encourage this by putting a perch on the inside of the door so that it is on the outside when the door is open. Or you can place the perch on the outside of the cage next to the door. The more time that you can spend nearby just talking and singing to and with her the better as this will help her to get used to you and the sound of your voice.

I thought your not supposed to let them come out on their own? Thats what I have always been told here.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:20 pm

I think that you have misunderstood what has been said as most of the time and all of the time since I have been on the forum we have recommended that the bird be allowed to come out on its own.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shikoba » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:03 am

She does come out on her own, she doesn't get mean or nothing when I reach in to give food or clean cage. Its when she's out that I put my arm up there for her and she goes to the other side of cage. yesterday she did get off cage and onto the floor and immediately stepped up on my hand, no problems. I am just giving her time to adjust. She talks all the time to me, always asking if I want a cracker or apple, lol. She is truly a joy to have around and I am sure in time we will be quite alright. Thank you all for your replies, other ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Today is my day off so I am trying some recipes for treats for her. She wasn't given a wide variety of food from her previous owner other than cockatiel pellet food and a grape or chunk of apple so most of the veggies I give her are new to her. I am sure there will trial and error on introducing the baked goodies.
shikoba
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:30 pm

When she is out and on top of cage and she moves away when you ash her to step up, do not follow her around asking her to step up. Instead wait a few minutes and ask again. Following or chasing her around will lessen her trust in you and eventually lead to her refusing to step up at all. Have patience she is still new to you and everything is new to her.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shikoba » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:20 am

Just an update... the other day, she stepped up on my arm with no hesitation and stayed on my shoulder for quite sometime. Just needed time to adjust and get used to everything new. So far, all is good.
shikoba
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:54 am

This is great news, you are doing a good job, keep it up and you will have a friend for life.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training