Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to train parrot that doesnt take treats?!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to train parrot that doesnt take treats?!

Postby JacksMom » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello,

We recently adopted a 1 year old Jenday conure...his other owner never let him out of his cage so he is a little agressive but not too bad...he likes my fiance and will let him touch him, but when i try he lunges at me, he badly needs his beak filed but i cannot get him out of the cage to do it...but if i just stand next to his cage he talks and sings to me? I am sure it has something to do with his old owner being a woman and he is distrustful of me for that...but i am home all day long while my fiance works 12 hours a day so i am his primary caregiver and i would like to at least for now teach him to step up, but he will rarely take treats from hand, sometimes he will nibble from a nutriberry from my hand but most of the time he runs to the opposite side of the cage, and a nutriberry is hardly a good reward as it is so big...i had a senegal a while back and he was older when i adopted him and trained and loved to be out of his cage and he loved me from the get go so i am kind of at a loss here...how do you train a bird that wont take a treat? I really miss having a sweet bird who sits on my shoulder and hangs out with me all day like my sennie did. Also i leave his cage door open almost all day and moved a perch ver close to the door but he just paces from one side of the door to the other like he wants to come out but is unsure what to do...i am at a loss so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Jacks Mom
JacksMom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Re: How to train parrot that doesnt take treats?!

Postby bmsweb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm

I would put a variety of different foods in his cage and see what he likes. With my cockatiel it was Millet spray. I left it in his cage for a couple of days. By the end of the first day he tried it out and developed a taste for it. Then i took it out of the cage and he would only get it from me during training sessions.

We just got two Green Cheek conures and they are both over a year old and never been handled. When purchasing them the male did some serious damage to the breeders finger from the transfer from net to box :) In their cage I put seed, veggies, fruit and pellets. Turns out they both love apple, so this is what I've used as a treat. We are working with the male for now.

Hope this helps.

Have a read of the taming thread that's pinned. Its really good and it works a treat.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: How to train parrot that doesnt take treats?!

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 am

on the kiliparrot youtube channel there is a great video of kathleen with michaels parrot kili and is teaching her to step up and target train without biting. i would suggest looking at that video as kili is quite aggressive at the beginning with biting
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training