Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Very very timid new Ringneck.. please help!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Very very timid new Ringneck.. please help!

Postby caty1113 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 am

First off I am new to the forum, I got here by watching the youtube videos of Kili doing amazing tricks!

Yesterday I got an Indian Ringneck Parakeet, she is two years old and has been in a cage her whole life. She is very very scared of people. If I put my hand close to her she climbs away. But she will sometimes take food from my hand. If anyone has taming tricks and tips I would be very grateful.

Is it going to be possible to get her fully hand tamed? I would love to teach her tricks like Kili.. I do have a conure who knows some tricks but I got her as a baby and was hand raised.

And are ringnecks intelligent enough to learn things like Senegals do?

Thanks! :blinking:
caty1113
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck, Green cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: Very very timid new Ringneck.. please help!

Postby Marnie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Ringnecks are very intelligent! did you check out any of the videos on you tube of them talking?
they are quite vocal and can learn a lot. not to mention how beautiful they are!
what color is yours? i had a pair of greys hoping to get a baby but they have a new home now and she has come a long way in training them. it can be done, but it takes a lot of patience.
she needs to adjust to her new surroundings for a while. there is also a IRN forum with lots of info on how to tame them.
good luck with her!
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds

Postby caty1113 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 pm

She is grey as well. Almost a grey-blue. I am not positive she is a female, but she is just over two years and only has a verrrrry faint ring, barely noticeable. And yes, I did see them talking, that was one of the reasons I chose a ringneck and not another conure, and yes the males especially are gorgeous!

So they can be taught tricks like the Senegals?

She almost always takes treats from my hands now, but is still scared of me in general. I hope this is a good sign! :quaker:
caty1113
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck, Green cheek conure

Postby HyperD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Maybe start with the jam packed sticky at the top of this subforum?

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training