Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

fly training help

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

fly training help

Postby HIDDENTRUTH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 am

hello everyone, I have 2 IRN parrots(which I have mentioned before) and one of them can fly really high now but the other one is still not good, Anyways:

how m I gonna teach them to fly to my hand when I call there name, like Tigi!!, and he comes to me from wherever he is :thumbsup:
HIDDENTRUTH
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: IRN PARROTS
Flight: No

Re: fly training help

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 am

just start simple target train him and have him on a perch have your hand a few inches from the perch but far enouch to where he cant stwp or llnge onto it it might take slome encouragement but thats how i taught skeeter and hes still clipped for now
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Postby HIDDENTRUTH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 am

well k ill try that but the problem is tht he wont step up(nor on my hand, nor on my finger). HE just runs away when i try putting my finger near his chest..I know, you are telling me to stay a little away from the perch so that he could fly to ur hand, but the problem is he wont he would sit somewhere else on my body.. And I cant teach him the step up trick coz whenever I try doing it he runs away..He's not really frightened.. Just doesnt know what I want him to do with the finger, mostly he thinks my as finger as a food and tries to eat it(not bite) :P
HIDDENTRUTH
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: IRN PARROTS
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm

If you can setup two perches like Michael has then start from there?

HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:52 pm

have you tried target training? surely your birdie would be curious enough to nibble a stick here is a video that shows it if you dont know how also that is a good video of kili above :D and another one and here is something like what i do with skeeter [youtubeT0n3R8Ska1A][/youtube] anyway hope it helps and good luck
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training