Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

training my budgie to come out of her cage by herself

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

training my budgie to come out of her cage by herself

Postby JayBudgie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Recently I bought my parakeet toys designed to hook outside of her cage and perch on. I hooked her cage open so she would be able to get to them easy. However, I didn't know where to start in helping her realize she can come in and out however she wants as she pleases. I started with getting her used to the toys first, and now she'll stand on them for a short while before climbing her way back into her cage. I've tried tempting her with treats, but she never fully commits to coming out. She is fully tamed, and has no trouble with coming out to play when I help her. How can I teach my parakeet to come out of her cage by herself?
JayBudgie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: training my budgie to come out of her cage by herself

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

You don't need to and, in truth, it's better for her if you just allow her to make up her mind about it because, unless a bird is clipped (which makes them feel terribly insecure, anxious and stressed out), it will always want to fly around -especially the little ones, they just love to zoom around :lol: The hard thing is getting them to go back into the cage but it''s not that hard to train them if you have the time and are patient about it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training