Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Stepping Up

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Stepping Up

Postby Sharon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 am

I can't believe the difference!!!

Freddie stepped up on the perch and went to his day cage for breakfast. He then played on the top...

Then, I stepped him up on the perch, and took him downstairs, where he's never been, to the shower. I stepped him down on a shower perch, and he had his shower. He did fly off once, but easily stepped back to the hand perch, and dried.

I stepped him up, came back upstairs to his cage, where he sits now playing.

Absolutely no attempt to bite...it's amazing!!!

My percetion, although it may be wrong...Freddie is used to "pushing the envelope" with his people. When he got difficult the reaction was to force him, which I saw them do several times. With the wings clipped, his attitude is adjusted, I guess, because his confidence os lower....I handled him firmly this morning with confidence. When he tried to get to my shoulder, I blocked him with my other hand, and no biting! Absolutely amazing, and I'm thrilled. Freddie will be staying!!!

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Canary, Lineolated Parakeet, Yellow Naped Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 am

That's great!

How did he like the shower? My Amazon absolutely loves shower time.

Sharon wrote:Freddie is used to "pushing the envelope" with his people. When he got difficult the reaction was to force him, which I saw them do several times.

You'll definitely get a lot farther with him if you don't force him. Positive reinforcement and training will work wonders for you. Keep reading around the forum, you'll find a lot more advice along these lines that will help :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't encourage wing clipping. But I did notice a similar reaction with my Amazon. He had to be clipped again because he was flying to and attacking my husband. After his clip he was very sweet. I'm not sure why that is, it could be because he knew he was going to depend on me and my husband to go where he wanted to go. Whatever the reason, it has really helped and my husband has been able to work with him and he can now pick him up without any issues. Now that they are getting along I'm really hoping to be able to leave him flighted after his molt. :)

Keep up the great work! Keep us posted about his progress.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:13 am

MandyG wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't encourage wing clipping. But I did notice a similar reaction with my Amazon. He had to be clipped again because he was flying to and attacking my husband. After his clip he was very sweet. I'm not sure why that is, it could be because he knew he was going to depend on me and my husband to go where he wanted to go. Whatever the reason, it has really helped and my husband has been able to work with him and he can now pick him up without any issues. Now that they are getting along I'm really hoping to be able to leave him flighted after his molt. :)

Parrots definitely are affected by being clipped. It has been 2 years since I've gotten Lucy or Jessie's wings clipped ... they came clipped from the pet store and I used to clip them before we opened the trailer every year. I'm still on the fence with clipping Jessie because he is not a good flyer ... very clumsy, but then again he really only flys when he gets spooked. They both rely on me for transportation.

Clipping Jessie never really seemed to affect him, but Lucy's mood definitely changed. She was very moody, nippy and quiet ... just not herself for a few days after being clipped. It does seem like they know you are taking away their 'birdhood'.

I've come to learn that clipping is a very personal decision ... some people have good reasons and I don't think any less of them.

Sharon, glad to hear you are making progress with Freddie. Keep up the good work and you'll both trust each other and have a great bond before you know it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Sharon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:16 am

I'm on the fence about taking flight awy from birds as well. My Budgies, and Canary are flighted, and they take such joy in flying. I wouldn't dream of taking that from them. They are very easy birds to live with. Levi is clipped because he gets an "attitude" when he flies. He's a bully with the other little guys as well, and he hates my husband. His flights are growing back now, and I'll try him again, to see what he's like. Freddie is a totally different bird with clipping. If I have to keep him clipped I will, but I'll reassess when his flights grow back....

Thanks again! :amazon:
Sharon
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Canary, Lineolated Parakeet, Yellow Naped Amazon

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training