Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What is your current or biggest goal?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: What is your current or biggest goal?

Postby MandyG » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:58 pm

kimbo wrote:then to get him to actually give me the object he is munching on. very possesive over stuff.

Good luck! You do realize you have a parrot, right? "If it's in my beak, it's mine." :lol:

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=263
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby SirHubi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Currently me and my Senegal parrot are both working hard to reduce screaming when people leave the room, however i'd like to hear some suggestions on what trick should we work first?

THX Hubert :senegal:
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)

Postby windharper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

For Teyla:
1. To get her to stop screaming.
2. To get her to come out of her cage without having to be grabbed with a towel.
3. To get her not to panick if she gets herself out of her cage.

(Once she is out and away from her cage, she is just fine. I can even walk her back to it and place her inside without problem. Go figure.)

For Tamber:
1. Recall flight.
2. To be more accepting of Teyla.

The above are all the harder things. I have easier goals, some tricks (for both) and some statements (for Tamber). I know the easier goals will be met in time. The above, however, are the things I find most challenging.

Deb
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby windharper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 pm

kimbo wrote:my next goal is to get chico :senegal: to let me touch his beak without chomping on my finger. then to get him to actually give me the object he is munching on. very possesive over stuff. :lol:

Can't help with the latter part of this; however, for touching his beak, I know what worked for us.

Everytime I wanted to touch :senegal: Tamber's beak, I would lift my finger so he could see it (well out of reach of his bite) and say, "Mommy pet." Then I'd slowly bring my finger toward his beak. At first he wanted to bite it. I'd say, "No," lower my finger to wait for just a moment and then repeat the exercise. Eventually, he let me touch his beak. I'd immediately reward him.

Each time I would try to leave my finger on his beak just a little longer. Now, he lets me stroke his beak without biting. I use the same procedure to get him to allow me to stroke his back or his wings. Now when he is in his cage, he'll actually start repeating, "Mommy pet. Mommy pet," etc. It has become his way of inviting me to touch him. :D

I have only just started to see if we can generalize this so he will allow me to touch the sides of his mouth in hopes that I could access something he is munching on that he shouldn't be. (It doesn't happen often, but, I see the value in this.)

Good luck with Chico!

Deb
windharper
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Postby kimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 am

thanks for the advice i will try and use that method to touch his beak. everything is his according to him. il just keep triyng on that one. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby bmsweb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Only had our Cockatiel Jazz for 5 days. The last two days we've started Target Training and its worked wonders!!!. Next step is have him come onto my hand and then hopefully out of the cage.

Edit: I got him up on my hand twice!! Wow :) Couldn't get him out of the cage :( (Its been 72 hours since we started Target Training)
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 am

i just got in from checking the mail and my clicker had arrived so my goal right now is clicker conditioning and target training after that :)

im just finding it hard to get a right time as im studying at the moment for univercity entrance when i get home and take his food away for 3 hours its going to be past 9 o clock at night and i feel thats to late... and i leave at 6:30 in my morning so i cant take it out then as thats over 7 hours with now food....
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training