Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot & Person not getting along

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Parrot & Person not getting along

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 pm

So I've had Sadie, my Senegal, for over a month now. I am in love with her and she is in love with me. It is wonderful, I absolutely adore her and am so happy I have her here with me. But we are running into issues now. At first, Sadie was receptive to everyone who tried to interact with her. Now that she has chosen me as her favorite person, she is aggressive towards all other people - including my boyfriend. I have read the article by Kathleen on the subject, but I'm afraid it's not addressing my specific issue. I live with my boyfriend (and have for more than 2 years). My boyfriend was totally into the idea of getting a bird at first. He actually read the entire book on parrots that I bought before we got her. She was supposed to be "our" bird, but she is turning out to only be "my" bird. He does not feed her, change her water, clean her cage. I do it all. He works more than I do, I work 25-30 hour weeks (along with full time college out of summer - much of which I do online) and he works 45+ hour weeks so I can understand on that level why he doesn't help out much. But this week I really noticed how bad it has gotten. He is just not into Sadie. I think he may even hate her. When we leave the room, she chirp-screams, and he just rolls his eyes or mutters "shut up". Last night, he had a dog we're sitting performing the command "speak" over and over and over and I told him to stop because the bird was sleeping. I was pretty shocked with his response of, "Always with the bird, who cares?" I've noticed many ladies on here have husbands/boyfriends/fiances that are just not into their parrots and I guess I'm just looking for ways that you deal with that. It's heartbreaking to me. He tries to interact with her sometimes, but his efforts fall when Sadie bites him every time. I told him to try just talking to her for a few minutes before you try to have her step up, but it's like he doesn't even want to try, because he said "that sounds stupid". Every time I walk by Sadie or interact with her, I talk or sing to her and I find nothing awkward or "stupid" about it. I think I'm just going to have to accept that 2 of my loves will not get along. He will not put the effort into it for a bird that bites him and she will not stop biting him if he doesn't put the effort into it. ALSO, I can't believe I neglected to mention this earlier, but it seems as if the breeder was a single female, and the lady who hand fed Sadie was a single female as well. Sadie let my sister pet her, but not my dad or my boyfriend. I think she has a bias towards males and what is happening now is not helping the matter. :roll:

And before anyone suggests it: I am not leaving my boyfriend! lol. I know he sounds like a total d-bag here, but this is the only severe disagreement we've ever had and he really is great to me in every (other?) aspect of our relationship.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in "parrot tales" or "taming & training". Feel free to move it.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot & Person not getting along

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Maybe his feelings are a bit hurt. Rejection isn't fun even when it comes from a bird. And on top of it, you are kind of siding with the bird against him... or at least it may seem that way to him. I'm not going to offer parrot advice, but I will offer some unsolicited relation ship advice which are of course perfectly free to ignore. I suggest paying extra attention to your BF away from Sadie. And if he has any interest in interacting with her at all, encourage him. Try not to tell him how to do it too much. Let him ask you for suggestions.

It sounds a little as if you were on the road to having a feathered "baby" together and he has the postpartum depression... the reality just wasn't quite the way it was supposed to be.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

This is fine in taming/training cause you are asking for advice rather than merely sharing a story without specific purpose.

I basically went through the same exact thing with Kili. Kathleen hated Kili and Kili basically hated everyone besides me. Since Kili didn't like other people, other people didn't want to interact with her but then Kili didn't like other people cause they didn't do anything for her. This is where all the training paid off. The tricks I taught Kili served two purposes. First of all it made other people more interested in her and wanting to interact with her. And second of all it created a mechanism for hands off interaction with her. Furthermore it created a mechanism for training her to be nicer to people because she already knew about the clicker and getting treats for doing the right stuff.

Furthermore, I think one of the biggest things that solved the situation was flight. Honestly, I think 60% of solving the biting was flight. The reason parrots often bite is in preemptive self defense because they are scared or territorial. Well guess how you can solve that?

A) Meet new people on neutral territory (taking Kili to park or other people's houses is great for this)
B) Don't force the parrot onto other people if it feels uncomfortable
C) Let it fly. This way it knows it can fly away at any point it doesn't want to be on that person
D) Make every experience on other people EVEN MORE rewarding than with you. Don't worry you won't lose your bond cause these are just temporary interactions but it does help if your parrot looks forward to them.

Of course on the other side of things, you need to motivate the boyfriend and other people to be more patient with the parrot and that one we cannot help you with and you'll have to figure out on your own :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby thejoie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:22 pm

Mia- my Hahns macaw is my boyfriend arch nemesis.

Mia only loves me. She tends to hate anyone else who loves me. This especially includes my boyfriend. Whenever he's around she sounds the alarm "AHKKKKK- AHHKKKK-AHHHKKKKKKK". She's actually dive bombed him before.

I just accept it. I schedule my Mia time accordingly.

Jeremy didn't expect it but he liked my blue and gold. He liked her SO much that when we lost her he actually encouraged me to get the baby Cape!! And now he's helping me feed her and giving her attention. I don't know what changed but I like it!!
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! Entranced, I think you are spot on with your response! I have been telling him what to do with her from day one since I researched more than he did... I suppose that hasn't helped like it was meant to, it just made the effort more forced instead of natural. Also, I was probably sounding sort of condescending. I will definitely follow your advice and thank you very much for it.

Michael, I just want to say I can't WAIT for Sadie to be flighted and I do think it will probably help this issue. And I am waiting for my finances to go back to normal (after 1. getting Sadie, 2. spaying my dog, 3. over reacting to Sadie's runny poop and taking her to the vet for $100 visit to tell me she's drinking more water, 4. paying $450 for a summer class that my scholarship doesn't cover) so that I can splurge and get her a harness so I will be able to take her outside to socialize, soak in the sunshine, and breathe the fresh air! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this issue and that there is a chance for helping it without forcing them to be together. I need to get Sadie motivated and I think that means feeding less in meals, and more in training. As far as motivating him, I think her progress will motivate him.

Thejoie, I thought I had it bad, but wow! Divebombing? Maybe some of the tips given on here will help you too? Mia seems like the sweetest bird in the world in those videos, I can't picture her attacking anyone, but she only has eyes for you I guess!
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby thejoie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 pm

haha! I know.. appearances can be deceiving. She has that sweet as pie voice but she's a lil terror!! lol. I love her insanely regardless. She is who she is and I never try to change that. Hahns are notorious for being 1 person birds and huuuge stinkers :) She's much better now that Jer and I live together. There's no escaping him now. She's stopped the squawking for the most part. She just nips him any chance he gets.

Jer has Capri to spoil now!

I have to agree 100% that your boyfriend is a bit jealous and disappointed. I noticed that with Jer too. Capri's been home for a lil over 24 hours now and when she didn't want to step up for him earlier he immediately went to "SHE HATES ME"
I rolled my eyes and told him that she doesn't even KNOW HIM! I had him feeding her the night weaning pellets and the next thing he knew she was climbing all over him.

Maybe get him involved in her care? Just so he feels included. So it's not a choice between him and Sadie. Jer likes making birdie bread! I send him to the market to pick up whatever veggies/fruit he wants and we make it into birdie bread. I also have him help me rearrange cages. lol... I never ask him to help me clean- lol I'm smart with my requests :)
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Have him read: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1528

And that's all I have to say about that.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby lzver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Both Lucy and Jessie have become one person birds ... I would gladly spend the time with the birds and my husband to change this, but he doesn't have the patience. And to gain and/or rebuild the trust of a bird takes a lot of time. So he accepts that I make me my time for the birds and he doesn't interfere.

It's not always easy living with birds that have bonded with one person and don't like other people in the house.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby kimbo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 pm

ive got the opposite with my sennie. i bought him for me but he doesnt want to be with me, only my partner, who spends hardly any time with him, wheras i spend lots of time with him, clean cage talk to him, teach him tricks, hes ok if ive got a treat but if not doesnt want to know me. when my partner comes in hes shouting him till he sees him. really annoying.
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:15 pm

kimbo wrote:ive got the opposite with my sennie. i bought him for me but he doesnt want to be with me, only my partner, who spends hardly any time with him, wheras i spend lots of time with him, clean cage talk to him, teach him tricks, hes ok if ive got a treat but if not doesnt want to know me. when my partner comes in hes shouting him till he sees him. really annoying.

When my Sennie came home he really wanted to be with my husband over me. Well, any man over me. He preferred men, I think because he was raised by one. He would come to me but he definitely preferred my husband which made me sad. But, I have always been the one to feed and clean up after my Sennie and he gradually decided he liked me the best so don't give up hope!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training