Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Taming an umtamed lovebird

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Taming an umtamed lovebird

Postby chiko » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm

It's been almost 4 weeks, I've bought this peach faced lovebird. It's really hard gaining trust from it. Whenever I put my hand inside it's cage it starts clinging on to the bars of the cage out of fear. When it's real quiet around suppertime (8pm) I go near its cage and it's really quiet so I take a piece of fruit or vegetable and slowly put it in front of it. It doesn't necessarily open its mouth right away it takes time, sometimes its moves far away from my hand and I hate chasing it around so I just take my hand out. At times it clings on to the bars of the cage and peaks on the fruit/vegetable on my hand. Then at times it just pecks it and runs away when it does I take my hand out and it goes back to its spot and it happens all over again. It's weird sometimes it gets frightened when we go near it cage, unless we go quietly. It's very chatty when we have the windows open and it hears the birds outside making noise. Anyways I have to wear gloves when putting my hand inside its cage or else it bites really hard. It bit my dad a few times, and he got upset so we bought gloves. I've learned not to seize it for that scares it, though in the beginning we did that 2 times but then rewarding it with nutriberries. Can anyone tell me how do I gain trust from it, I wanna try without the gloves but the pain from its bite just freaks me out. I need my lovebird to step up to my finger. I've got its flight wings clipped and nails trimmed at the vet. thanks :lovebird:
chiko
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Chiko- Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Taming an umtamed lovebird

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby chiko » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:09 pm

The article was very useful, in fact yesterday I started using the clicker method with my parrot yesterday with a chopstick and a mouth clicking noise ( I couldn't find a clicker at any local pet store near by) and it seemed to be working. I've tried a few times in the morning, but after a while I stop and start again, when I begin to start it gets scared and then it gets back to normal. But it's still scared of me? what can I do to overcome that fear it has inside? Like when it is eating his food and I come by and say hi it gets up and turns the other way and hops to its perch and when I turn my back it goes back to normal. Why? is this normal?

Oh and when it gets used to the clicker method, how do I get it to hop on my finger? so I replace the stick with my finger. What if he bites, or nips it? Help please? thank you
chiko
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Chiko- Lovebird

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Try getting him used to your presence. I believe the below method has been already mentioned in the articles posted, but here it is:

Approach the cage, and when the bird shows the first signs of fear, stop. Hold still and wait. After the bird calms down, move in closer. Wait until he calms down. Gradually, you will be able to sit next to the cage and talk to the bird. Get the bird used to your presence. Once the bird is no longer afraid of you, (could be days or weeks, even, depending on the bird) try opening the cage and resting your hand there and wait until the bird calms down. Start moving your hand slightly closer each time you do this. With time and patience, the bird will allow you to stroke its chest, and may even perch on your finger. It takes a LONG time for this- my cockatiel Archimedes took 6 months to completely hand-tame. (He was a cage-bound pet-store find they'd had for two years.) And this is the method I used, plus I gave him treats after he let me touch him and when he would tolerate my hand near him. He is a sucker for banana pieces and raisins.

As far as biting goes... Just deal with it. The bird will learn on its own that you are not a threat after you handle it over and over and over every day, and will start to warm up to you. :) Hope that helps any.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby javelin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 am

I'm in a similar situation as chiko with my pf but i'm reluctant to get its wings clipped. Not that I think its wrong but I admire birds for their flight and would want Sunflower to retain that facility in full.

I'm able to tap on his feet with much tension on his part and perhaps before the year ends, I would be able to touch his feathers already without him flying off in panic. My main issue now is he hasn't allowed me to hand-feed him yet. I hope I don't have to tread through 6 months for Sunflower to get fully tamed but I'm willing to give it a shot. Perhaps at the end of 6 months without any significant progress, I may consider having him clipped.
javelin
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced lovebird

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:30 am

Stop trying to touch the bird until you get him to eat from your hand ,as food is your motivation factor your hindering your efforts by trying to touch/handle him without a reward(motivation for letting you touch him) other people can probly offer better advice, I'm not the training guru, this an old thread and you may not get much response to it, we'll see
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby javelin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks captwest. I figured as much.

We did have a breakthrough yesterday. I began a combined proximity and diet control program from the morning which by the afternoon he was hungry enough to eat off my hand albeit hesitantly. I'll post the details on a separate thread but suffice to say, I'm happy because it's definitely a step forward towards a relationship with Sunflower that I'm striving for. Yipee! :swaying:
javelin
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced lovebird

Return to Taming & Basic Training