Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Tame Wild IRN

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Tame Wild IRN

Postby nareshm1985 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Yes, they dont get along very well.

I am planning to buy a new cage for Ed, hope everythings goes well and they are tame soon.

Just one more advice I need from you guys. Should I keep them in the same room (definately in diff cages) or in diff room ?

:amazon:
:eclectus:
Thanks,
Naresh
"The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it"
nareshm1985
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Parrot
Flight: No

Postby lainmai » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Same room will be best - they still need the security of being around one of their own species if they are true wild birds that were not removed as chicks.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby k9shrink » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Naresh,

I have a wild-caught African Grey, and it should not take years to tame your birds. Using clicker training, I had mine stepping up on my hand within a week, and wearing a harness within 10 weeks. I'm not sure why clicker training isn't working for you. I've used it with dogs, horse, cats, fish and birds since 1995, and have had nothing but success with it!

Could you please describe what you're doing, when you're clicking (and what behavior you're clicking), and what you're using for treats? Also, what do your birds eat normally?

I would highly recommend separating them in different cages in the same room. I think separate cages will make it MUCH easier to tame them.

It looks from the photo like you have a small cage. I live in Turkey, and most parrots here live in cages 1/10th or even 1/20th of the sizes used in the USA. I would recommend you get nice big cages for both birds. I bought a large black (epoxy-coated) dog crate for our parrot--it was about $85 new. I used cable ties to fully close it and make sure there were no places for my parrot to get her toes caught. I have mine on a table. You could also put two of these on top of each other--the birds couldn't see each other that way (while you're taming them). My parrot uses every surface of this cage, including the floor--I think the horizontal layout is the best possible one for birds.

P1160141.JPG
P1160141.JPG (63.76 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

For those of you in Europe or the USA/Canada, you may think it's illegal to have a wild-caught bird. In fact, it's legal in most other areas of the world, particularly the Middle East, Africa, Asia, South America, etc. I would love to see it abolished. But here in Turkey, there's not a single parrot breeder in the entire country--it's cheaper and easier for pet stores to import wild-caught ones. :(
k9shrink
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training