Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Tame Wild IRN

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to Tame Wild IRN

Postby nareshm1985 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:51 am

Guys,

I have 2 Indian Ring Necks.

They dont accept food from me, I have tried the methods of step up, clicker training but its not working at all and when I take them out from cage they give me a nice bites.
The store owner told me these are from wild flock. Now I am really having a hard time to tame them.

Please guys help me with this.
:eclectus: :amazon:
Thanks,
Naresh
"The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it"
nareshm1985
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Parrot
Flight: No

Re: How to Tame Wild IRN

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:24 am

Well they're wild, what do you expect? It's gonna take weeks or years just for them to get used to you and start accepting food from your hand.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:07 am

An avian-bred bird is one thing... A wild-caught bird, on the other hand would have plenty of resentment for captivity, I would imagine. Poor guys. The key to taming them is patience, and lots of it. And if they are bonded so well to one another, they may never care to bond with you, in my honest opinion. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby nareshm1985 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Michael

I have tried this, but the problem is that Bella(Femal IRN) take seeds from my hand but ed(male IRN) hits her hard whenever she takes fruit/seeds from my hand dont know what his prob is ;)

Now even bella has stopped taking fruits/seeds from my hand.

what to do now ?
Thanks,
Naresh
"The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it"
nareshm1985
Parakeet

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:02 pm

thats gonna be tough good luck! i didnt think it was legal to catch wild parrots anymore?
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Rue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

The male is likely 'protecting' her from you by biting her when she takes food from you.

Other than patience, I have no suggestions either, with older wild-caught birds.

You could separate them and work with them separately, but I think that would be cruel.
Last edited by Rue on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 pm

I agree with Rue. Please don't part them, they are bonded and the male obviously loves his lady-friend. :) Maybe try to win Ed over first since he is the one most irked by your presence?
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby nareshm1985 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:13 am

Yes, you are rite, I am having a hard time to win ed's heart.
He neighter take food from me nor allow his lady luck to take.

I thought of seperating them coz Ed is in no mood to be with bella, they are always fighting.

Dont know what to do whether to seperate them or keep them toghether. Its a tough decision for me to take.

I think bella is really cool she will be tamed soon if I seperate them(Coz she used to take food from me & also allow me to touch her, but not anymore coz of ed :( ). I need your suggestion on this.

:eclectus:
:amazon:
Thanks,
Naresh
nareshm1985
Parakeet

Postby lainmai » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 am

If they are fighting I'd separate them and work with each animal to try and tame them. Granted - you have months if not YEARS ahead of you to try and get these guys tamed. Should relations between them improve you can always try them together again but keep in mind, they have a much higher chance of reverting into being wild if you do so.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Oh I thought they got along!!! Ok, if they dislike one another, it is best to keep them apart, one of them could even kill the other if angered enough. Just because they are male and female doesn't mean they should coexist. Birds are like people: they don't necessarily get along. If all they do is fight, it would be much more beneficial for them to have seperate living environments.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training