Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Constant chattering! (parrotlet)

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Constant chattering! (parrotlet)

Postby pabeth » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:07 pm

I know it is a little strange, but I was wondering if there is away to get my parrotlet to stop making so much noise. My parakeet and my other parrotlet have their moments, which is fine, but my wilder parrotlet who bites a lot, chatters non-stop. Is this normal? I want to find a way to get him to stop some. If I got over he's so scared that he will stop, but that isn't what I want. I have no idea what he is chattering for.... he even chatters during his naps! The other parrotlet now has started to mimic the parakeets screams and is starting to chatter more and more, because the other one just won't quiet down. The chatty one isn't wanting attention from me... he is scared and/or hates me. He has food, water, toys (he never plays with - at leave when I'm around). I dunno if he is chattering to the other birds to tell them to plan an escape or what, but even the other birds seem annoyed by it. lol. How can I get him to take a break!?? Does anyone know, or have this problem? Even if I could focus it on words rather than constant chatter, but he's so scared of me he doesnt' want anythig to do with me.
pabeth
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Constant chattering! (parrotlet)

Postby lainmai » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:24 pm

'Lets, from my experience will "chatter" when they are happy or content. My female is usually very quiet but my male will chatter throughout the day - but he is not constant nor is he usually loud.

"Chatter" is a good thing and usually means a happy, safe, and content bird! Is the 'chatty' one a male by chance? Also....are your 'lets caged together?
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Constant chattering! (parrotlet)

Postby pabeth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 am

Yes, its a male. They are not caged together. From time to time, they will all "chirp" and "meep" to each other. I hope he is happy and that is why. That way I can learn to live with it, but at this point it is really driving me nuts. How does he not get a sore throat. Do you have any ideas if there is a nice way to to get him to take a break? Its funny because even when he will be napping and eyes clothes, feet covered, chattering chattering chattering! Well, if he is just happy, then that is all I can ask for. This one is wild. It took me forever to get him to step up, but he bites me a lot and flies (wings-clipped, so more like crashing) away. So he isn't chattering for my attention. Covering his cage doesn't work. I need t find a toy he actually will play with, maybe that will help? I dont' think he plays with his toys at all, but maybe he does when I am not home? I dunno.
pabeth
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training