Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reluctance to step up

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Reluctance to step up

Postby JadeW » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:27 am

My cockatiel knows how to step up but sometimes is a bit reluctant about it. I can lure him onto my hand when I need to move him from my person, but that doesn't always work and occasionally he'll keep evading my hand and seem to get aggravated at what I'm asking. I hate forcing him to step up but I'm not sure how else to get him to do what I want. He'll even turn away from the target stick and millet that I hold right close to him.

Is this a lack of training on my part, or am I somehow damaging my relationship with Cas? I want everything to be positive as it can be, but am still pretty sure that I could be doing better by him. Maybe I need to reestablish dominance over him? Or something. Suggestions? :S
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Reluctance to step up

Postby lainmai » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

I'd make sure first that Cas is hungry otherwise the millet is pretty useless and there is no motivation to train. Also, he might be avoiding it because things are too close at the wrong time and he is uncertain about them. If he seems to display this behavior more towards the end of your sessions than shorted the sessions for a while and end them on a good note.

If these aren't reasons/helpful Michael might be better at helping you out :)
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 am

Tonight I will be posting a video/blog exactly about this so check back on my trainedparrot blog.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby JadeW » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Thank you Michael! I'm sure that video will be just what I need. :thumbsup:

As for him stepping up during sessions, it's more that I want the consistency there when we're not having sessions. I like having him on my person, but would also like him to step up so I can take him off when I have to go or he has to go to bed. Then again, parrots do tend to be fickle that way~ 8-)
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training