Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training - Treat Help?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Training - Treat Help?

Postby SuperSponge » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Im trying to train my Senegal using Michael's articles and videos. I bought a clicker and some millet spray and was trying to do clicker conditioning with her through the bars (because she bites a lot) but she refuses to eat the millet spray. She hates it! I would use something smaller, like seed, but shes really territorial and I cant stick my fingers actually IN the bars. I need something a little longer (like millet spray) that I can put through the bars without her chewing my fingers off (she has this super effective lunge-and-latch-on method lol) but something she'll actually eat. Suggestions?

Thanks!
SuperSponge
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Training - Treat Help?

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Sounds like you might have a territorial issue. Are you able to remove her with gloves and try to train her in another location?
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Sun flower seeds work like a charm. Don't overdo it, just get your birds trust and then downgrade to other stuff.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Tarsun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm

You can try nutriberries, it works good especially for target training. Parrots love it! Or you can try Ecotrition's Golden Honey sweet blossoms & seeds. You can also try plump raisins or any dehydrated fruit, my bird loves them.
Last edited by Tarsun on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarsun
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:55 pm

Whenever I treat Scarlet with small treats (like for training), I use a plastic spoon. Scarlet is very hand-shy and bites, hard. Sometimes will even push the treat out of the way to get to my hand! I use the white plastic ones because she did not like the metal ones, but either works so I don't push it.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby SuperSponge » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks for all the help! I'll try those things.

Gloves, spoons - all those accessories are totally out. My bird is terrified of basically any foreign object, she hates anything she can't identify. I was worried about the target stick, but she seems ok with that.

As for the biting, its a work in progress. Her MO is to be nice and sweet for about 5 minutes and JUST when you think 'Oh wow, shes gonna be ok today" she latches on HARD. Ive gotten some good scars from her. I know not to react, but its hard because I react more to the surprise than from the pain. We're working on it :)
SuperSponge
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Kim S » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:13 am

You could try a pair of tweezers to get the food near her. Maybe hang the tweezers in her cage first for a couple of days so she can get used to the thing.

I heard the beakholding method before. I tried it on Kika when he nips, but he just bites down harder. So I wouldn't try that one.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Taming & Basic Training