Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how do i put her back

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: how do i put her back

Postby sidech » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, I'm happy it works for you that way, and I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, but from the limited experience I've had, I don't think it's necessary at all to withdraw food to have a good relationship with your bird.

All birds I've had wanted to be with me because they wanted my attention, not food. The little one I have now will do anything just to get close to me. He doesn't even want the food, sometimes I'll offer him some and instead of grabbing it, he climbs on my hand.

This is a personal belief, but I don't want my animals to want to be with me because I give them food.
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: how do i put her back

Postby HyperD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:02 pm

If the bird is not willing at all to even attempt to trust the human, what else can you do?

The removal of the food is just for the initial step, for the parrot to learn that the human is not a threat.

Once that is estabalished, then it is not really required for the bird to remain tame... It may however be beneficial for training so that the bird is more willing to do the trick for the treat.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training