Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

is the training diet safe for young birds

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

is the training diet safe for young birds

Postby qtbirds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 pm

We have a young male parrotlet about 2 months old. Is it safe to take his food away to get him a little hungrier for training? I'm not sure how long I should take his pellets away or even if I should because he is fairly young. He was handfed and tamed. He's been home about 2 weeks.Thanks.
qtbirds
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Parrotlet, Peachfaced Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: is the training diet safe for young birds

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Young birds like that need to eat a lot but they also get hungry quicker. You should be able to train without any training diet or removing the food for 1-3 hours at most. You may be able to train for motivation besides just food as well. Babies like to explore and try new toys so those are very rewarding too.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Kim S » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 am

If the bird works for food as it is you dont need to take his food away. If he accepts the food you offer then why make him go hungry?

What kind of bird is it? Ther arent many birds that are completely weaned at the age of 8 weeks except budgies.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby qtbirds » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:15 am

Kim S wrote:If the bird works for food as it is you dont need to take his food away. If he accepts the food you offer then why make him go hungry?

What kind of bird is it? Ther arent many birds that are completely weaned at the age of 8 weeks except budgies.

He is a male parrotlet. He eats very well, plays and he's tame. He hasn't cried out for food or for his breeder or other birds. He had some pin feathers on his back, but he lost them after a few days. He was about 6.5 weeks when he came home. He was weaned about 3 days when he came home. He ate pellets like a champ the day I gave him some, and he tries different fresh foods. He likes sprouted buckwheat.

I'm slowly taking his seed mix away, but I didn't want him to switch over to new foods too quickly. He takes treats, but he's not very eager. I think he'll do better once all of his seed mix is gone and if I give him an hour or two without any pellets or seeds. I'll leave his fresh foods in his bowl. I do see that he goes about that long without eating in his cage.
qtbirds
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Parrotlet, Peachfaced Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 am

Sounds about right. Parrotlets are weaned at about the same age as budgies. Keep weighing him to make sure he doesnt lose weight though...

Maybe in stead of taking all of his food away, you can take away his seedmix in the morning (leave the pellets), train with him in the evening using his favourite seeds, and then put the seedmix back into the cage after the training.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Taming & Basic Training