Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Screaming!!! :S

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Screaming!!! :S

Postby Jessica_rabbitt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 am

Hi:)
I have a 10mnth old Senegal who has started screaming whenever he wants attention or whtever I have (usually food) I have tried ignoring him but he is VERY persisitant and will fly at me after he figures out he can't have what he wants. I am running out of patience!!:). He also screams I. The morning when his UV light turns on which is an issue as we live In an apartment and not everyone around us wakes at 6am!:) any suggestions???
Jessica_rabbitt
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: Screaming!!! :S

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Cover the cage at night ;)
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Screaming!!! :S

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I have our full spectrum lights set to turn on well after we expect to be up in the morning, so go ahead and set that up for 9 or 10! I think lighting suddenly changing can easily startle a bird. It's one of Scooter's most common reasons for a flight attempt, I have to be careful with light switches when I have him with me, and he will let out a squwak if he's startled when the light goes on.

For the screaming and then flying to you... I think putting him in the cage and ignoring the screaming is your best bet, and it may take some time for the behavior to go away. It's pretty nearly impossible to do anything active to discourage screaming, because any response is likely to be perceived as attention, which is probably what is wanted.

Do respond to contact calls appropriately, and try to find a more positive behavior he can use to ask for attention or tidbits that you can reward. Such as saying "pretty bird" or ringing a bell or whistling.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training